Can we get a separate Vulkan forum?

Started by
6 comments, last by Promit 7 years, 3 months ago

I know the level of talk on Vulkan might not warrant it's own forum by your standards, but this combined forum is causing real issues with google results and I think that alone means we need split forums.

I've noticed that having a group forum is an issue when trying to google Vulkan specific issues with general graphics terms. OpenGL results frequently come up because this forum is now called "OpenGL and Vulkan", when you really only care about Vulkan results. This problem will only get worse as there is more content from both APIs.

I don't think it hurts to have it as a separate forum and I think the time saved for all the people trying to learn Vulkan is worth it.

Thanks,
David

I'm working on a first person zombie shooter that's set in a procedural open world. I'm using a custom game engine created from scratch with opengl and C++. Follow my development blog for updates on the game and the engine. http://www.Subsurfacegames.com

Advertisement

+1 Vulkan is a separate product from OpenGL. Totally different philosophy.

shaken, not stirred

+1 Vulkan is a separate product from OpenGL. Totally different philosophy.

+1 I totally agree.

We think in generalities, but we live in details.
- Alfred North Whitehead
Usually we don't do this unless there's traffic to warrant it, otherwise we end up with dead forums. For example you'd be surprised at the number of requests I get to migrate stuff out of the mobile forum.

Can you provide some examples of how Google search results are being negatively affected for Vulkan topics, and why you think a different place on this site will alleviate that?

Usually we don't do this unless there's traffic to warrant it, otherwise we end up with dead forums. For example you'd be surprised at the number of requests I get to migrate stuff out of the mobile forum.

Can you provide some examples of how Google search results are being negatively affected for Vulkan topics, and why you think a different place on this site will alleviate that?

If I google "Vulkan Depth Texture", I see four hits from gamedev.net on the first page and all four are OpenGL related. I generally ignore hits from gamedev.net when I'm searching for anything Vulkan using generic terms (as opposed to when I'm using Vulkan specific definitions), because I know they'll almost all be false positives.

If I google "Vulkan Depth Texture", I see four hits from gamedev.net on the first page and all four are OpenGL related. I generally ignore hits from gamedev.net when I'm searching for anything Vulkan using generic terms (as opposed to when I'm using Vulkan specific definitions), because I know they'll almost all be false positives.

But how do you expect simply making another forum to solve this? The hits for that query seem to get picked up primarily because of the name of the current forum ("OpenGL and Vulkan") includes "Vulkan." Making a new forum wouldn't really solve that, it would just change the shape of the results slightly. The text "Vulkan" can still appear in other pieces of forum "chrome," like menus and navigation links, regardless of whether or not the actual generated page has content remotely to do with Vulkan.

My gut feeling, glancing over the topics in the GL/Vulkan forum, is that the traffic isn't there, but a change in name might be sufficient to help get the traffic over the critical mass point. Having more visible Vulkan traffic in the forum, in terms of questions and discussions, might help more though. It's worth considering for the next forum re-organization we make, at least.

(FWIW, including "-opengl" in the search query filters out of a lot of false positives.)

I'm a bit mixed on this, what would different compared to dx11 vs dx12?

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

I'm a bit mixed on this, what would different compared to dx11 vs dx12?

Basically the confusion isn't built into the name ;)

My first instinct was "no" but I do see the problem. However I believe the false positives are partly because there are so few Vulkan results that Google is reaching a bit for results. I wouldn't tend to split based on current traffic but maybe we can look at it.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement