Trying to make me first game,any advice appreciated

Started by
3 comments, last by JEJoll 7 years, 3 months ago
So, basically,i want to start game developing...But i dont have much experience,so im going to use unity.I used it before so i know a bit.Well,im thinking about making a low poly 3d game with extremely minimalistic level design,a kinda RPG/puzzle game.Ill be using blender for 3d modeling.But im asking you if you think that i can pull it off with minimal experience in game dev.?And another question,how do i write an interesting story?
Advertisement

But im asking you if you think that i can pull it off with minimal experience in game dev.?

If you put your mind to it, figure out things you don't know, and grind it out. Yes you will succeed

And another question,how do i write an interesting story?

There are many aspects to a story, therefore there isn't one liner that will answer that question.

Short version: git gud.

Longer version: From personal experience, its imagination, and iteration on written story, that really polishes it to be "Interesting" and "good".

I will quote Shia Labeouf "JUST DO IT!", and you will get better at it. At times you get stuck, figure it out, and continue.

But most important thing of all is, think small for first few projects, finish the project you started!

You might want to train your skills first, by making a simplistic levels, to get hang of it, before you do it in bigger project.

Same goes for everything, you might want to make standalone puzzles first in Unity, before making a game with puzzles in it, because it might be overwhelming, and give you feeling of NEVER GETTING THINGS DONE.

Hope i helped a bit.

Bane

If you don't have experience just work on the game,even if you can't pull it off,it's not that of a big deal is it?
Create different games and write different stories and as time passes you'll get better and better :)
Just keep on working,if you find yourself in a project you feel is worth spending some months, do it, try to complete a bigger game,if not just make new and new games.
Eventually you'll find yourself with alot of unfinished ideas and more and more game design,coding and story telling skills,and ofcourse more and more game ideas :)
Just grind !!

But im asking you if you think that i can pull it off with minimal experience in game dev.?

Yes. Start with a small and simple game. Lots of developers get their start with trying to create and finish Pong, for instance.

Pong seems simple, but until you've actually created it, you might not realize all of the moving parts and under-the-hood work that goes into making such a simple game.

Otherwise, I agree with BaneTrapper in that if you keep at it, you can accomplish it.

-------------------------GBGames' Blog: An Indie Game Developer's Somewhat Interesting ThoughtsStaff Reviewer for Game Tunnel

I've been using Unity for a while, reading related books and taking courses on Udemy along the way. However, the best resources I've found for being taught Unity are the official Unity tutorials and documentation.

If you really have no idea where to start, go through a couple of the tutorial projects to get your knowledge base up a bit so that you know how to do certain things (which can give you ideas for how to solve problems in your own games). After that, just start making a game.

And it's important to try to start fairly simple (don't try to make a full-fledged FPS or MMO in your first go--think of a single core gameplay principle and try to make it work in the context of a game), and REALLY try hard to finish a game. This will give you an idea of what kind of development cycle works for you. Seeing a project through to the end really gives insight that you can't get elsewhere. You'll make a lot of mistakes in design and implementation. It can be frustrating, but you'll learn a ton about Game Development and Design as working concepts, as well as how to code.

I've learned way more doing work on my own projects than I did in any of my study of Unity tutorials, books, etc. Generally speaking, they're good for getting a decent knowledge base and for supplementing your knowledge as you're working on a project, but the bulk of your learning (and the fastest learning) will happen during your actual game development.

With that said, if you really have no idea how to implement a feature you want in your game, there's no shame in finding a solution on the internet, so long as you at least attempt to understand how the found solution works. Familiarizing yourself with the Unity documentation and referring to it frequently when you have a question about what a certain component or method can do will help you immensely. Also, be active on Unity Answers. I've gotten a lot of solutions to problems that were just over my head there, and have learned a lot by figuring out how those solutions work.

Basically, build your coding 'toolkit' by learning little bits of how things work here and there. As that toolkit grows, you'll be able to solve more and more problems on your own, and will have to resort less and less to researching and asking questions.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement