• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
2HitMatt

Make a Hack n Slash Game with C++ and SDL2

This topic is 531 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey!

This looks like maybe the spot to put this. If you've learned C++ up to classes and inheritance (maybe during your studies or other) and wanted to make your first game with it, then I've just made a course you may dig. I like to work with C++ and SDL2, so I made a small cool game to teach with.

The Course

My course will start you at the basics and take you through to the end of a small arcade hack n slash game (something a bit different to the other tutorials out there). I try to push Polymorphism more, because it was taught badly where I learned and I'm finding it the same in other places, so this should buff that up for you somewhat too. All assets provided and even the whole project at various check points to help out (worst case scenario, you still can download the finished project :D)

I'm letting you guys at it free till the end of the month with this link: https://www.udemy.com/hack-n-slash-sdl2/?couponCode=GAMEDEVNETFREE

and after that time, you guys can get it cheaper until all the keys run out on this link: https://www.udemy.com/hack-n-slash-sdl2/?couponCode=GAMEDEVNETALWAYS

The Teacher

I've been teaching at a small college for the last 2-3 years and making games under 2 Hit Studio for waaaay longer haha. This is my first online course, which is why I'm chucking it free for you guys to give feedback and what not so we can help each other out :D

Next course will be on art related stuff, but if you want me to do an intro C++ course, will gladly tackle that. Later, muuuch later, I'll try make a fighting game as course material if the interest is high enough.

%2BhJlI9.png

Ask me any questions about the course, the making of or anything else and I'll try get back to here to answer them whenever possible :D

Cheers,

Matt

Advertisement

I always wanted to try an online course since I learned about them. Thanks to you, it's now done and I'm registred!

Thanks for your announcements :)

Let us know what you think of it Kane_, and anyone else who gives it a try!  We'd love to help get the word out if people can vouch for the quality and content! :)

Let us know what you think of it Kane_, and anyone else who gives it a try!  We'd love to help get the word out if people can vouch for the quality and content! :)

I'm sorry for the lack of feedback up until now, with my lack of free time theses day and some health issues I didn't go very far in it. I'm just at 9% of the course (chapters 1 to 3 done).

So far it's interesting, some sound balancing issues, but the content itself is good and well presented. The only negative point I see for now is in the presentation of the course - but maybe it's for the demonstration and don't show the real content of it, I'm just at the start of the course after all, so it's not to take to seriously for now - It's the fact that the presentation ask us to know the basis of C++, at this point we are warned for it, that's great, but it don't tell anything about our base knowledge in SDL, and since most of the functions are thrown without any real explanations of them, I start to think that the course also requiert some experiences with it. Adding a notice about that may be a good point in the course description.

But like I said it's my opinion after only 3 out of 17 chapters, so it may be like that just as an introduction/setup thing. I will tell more after a few more hours in it!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!