Want to get into game development, what should i do?

Started by
8 comments, last by Christopher Void 7 years, 2 months ago

I really am interested in game design and always have been I love to write to make new ideas and mechanics in my head. I want to get some of my ideas out there and get them to become a reality. I also want to learn what to do and how to go about becoming a developer. (if you know of any free or low cost programs to get me a bit of experience please share them), thankyou.

Advertisement

https://www.gamedev.net/topic/651842-please-read-the-faqs-before-you-post-for-the-first-time/

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

First step design document, even if it is a very short one.

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

Thank you both.

Microsoft Visual Studio, Community Edition. Free

https://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/

Then choose your language and find some online tutorials to learn to code:

http://greenteapress.com/wp/

has some free books, esp "Learn to think like a Computer Scientist" is available in Java, Python and C++ editions

Thanks for all the help!

I really am interested in game design and always have been I love to write to make new ideas and mechanics in my head. I want to get some of my ideas out there and get them to become a reality. I also want to learn what to do and how to go about becoming a developer. (if you know of any free or low cost programs to get me a bit of experience please share them), thankyou.

You need to give more information. Do you know how to program? If not, are you willing to learn? Do you have a lot of money to hire people to work for you?

I've used event based systems and am pretty good with them although I'm not familiar with code, I am however applying for a course next year to learn (JavaScript I believe). I do not have a lot of money by any means but i do have a lot of close friends who have agreed to help me already and I currently am working on a fairly simple pixelated platformer using Construct 2 (using this to make my first few little projects).

You're already off to the right start in my opinion. Dive into the forums and do your homework, then get networking. I got my first gig making the soundtrack for an old IOS game by simply emailing the guy who made it. Be persistent and motivated by your ideas constantly.

I've used event based systems and am pretty good with them although I'm not familiar with code, I am however applying for a course next year to learn (JavaScript I believe). I do not have a lot of money by any means but i do have a lot of close friends who have agreed to help me already and I currently am working on a fairly simple pixelated platformer using Construct 2 (using this to make my first few little projects).

Sounds like a fun project, l would love to contribute a soundtrack song for something like this, hit me up if you'd like to hear a sample of my work

I may have to contact you when i get more established and have some money to spend on hiring someone.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement