• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
xeyedmary

Reentrant flag passing

This topic is 543 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Confining this to GNU C/C++ 5.4.0 for simplicity, I don't have access to llvm/clang or intel or msvc, not too sure it matters.

So I was given to believe that including pthreads (using cmake I'm linking via "set ( PROJECT_LINK_LIBS pthread )" in with a very simple test example, testing some thoughts on C++11 threads) defined the _REENTRANT macro after reading this and that on net. So, since seeing is believing I just spun up a simple test case:

#ifdef _REENTRANT
	cout << "-------------------> reentrant " << endl;
#endif

in a POCO constructor, and added it to the code. To my jaded surprise the line didn't get printed out. As soon as I actually passed -D_REENTRANT to the compiler invocation it of course got printed. Anyone got the skinny on this behavior with 5.4.0? Did I "do it wrong"? Am I reading the spec (or, actually, the gcc list of expected behaviors) incorrectly?

Advertisement

My guess is that it's just an issue with your CMake configuration. Depending on your version of CMake, there are several idiomatic ways to link against pthreads. See cmake and libpthread.

Yep. Since CMake 2.8.12 we need to add

add_compile_options(-pthread)

and done.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!