• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kgg

What freelance experience reflects best on an individual when transitioning into the industry?

This topic is 692 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all, 

To clarify my question in my topic title, I want to transition from freelance / other work into the game production area over the course of a few years. I am a student now that is satisfied to work on freelance projects using my game design skills that I am learning. I currently live in Colorado Springs, which doesn't supply a lot of game development / production work - actually none, zilch, few and far in-between. Personally, I don't want to put up with a drive to Denver each day or move to Boulder yet, so I am going to focus on projects and get some fundamental skills under my belt through freelance work before breaking into the industry. I am currently focused on being a writer / working in publishing, building my networking relationships, and using my skills in game development to build educational components for children in a small company I am building, launching fully once I graduate. 

Anyway, with all of those items going on that can benefit me from a producer role for the next few years, I was wondering what I could start doing freelance to round out my experiences? The educational materials I build / will be building out will show I can program, and I am pushing for the creation of children's literature / animations / other educational materials will hone my artistic abilities. I was thinking of trying to find some freelance QA Testing work but have struggled to find job postings. I don't mind to have to go chase down gigs on freelancer or something like that, but I was wondering what types of resources are recommended for trying to get into that specific line of work? Or, what type of work you think I could be doing?

Also, one last question, I do like to program and love new challenges, I heard about a position where you build software that automates the bug checking process in the game? Something like SDNET? It is a weird sibling child of QA Tester? Is this something that is available freelance wise? 

Thank you for taking the time to read my post! 

- Emily (kgg) 

Advertisement

I heard about a position where you build software that automates the bug checking process
in the game? ... It is a weird sibling child of QA Tester?

Yes. SDETs are Software Development Engineers in Test. They write automated tests and do
white box testing. All Microsoft's testers are SDETs, I hear.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!