Good 3D modeling for characters?

Started by
7 comments, last by warhound 7 years, 2 months ago

I am looking for a good 3D modeler for the new program GODOT I got (preferably convenient for a noob! and low cost to free)

Advertisement
Why was this posted in Game Design? Modeling is not a Game Design topic; moving it to
Visual Arts.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Are you looking for a person or an application?

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

Should have been specific, I was looking for a program since i cant afford to pay anyone currently. I have however found a good program (Blender) that should fit my needs.

I have however found a good program (Blender) that should fit my needs.

Blender is the best free 3D software you can find, it's even better than most payed software and just under Maya and Max, for making game models.

A thing to note is that learning how to make characters takes years, even the most talented 3D modelers spend four years learning before they get good at making organic models.

I would advise just making simple models, for characters if you want to focus on game making.

Mixamo is good if you have no skills.

Makehuman is one of the best 3D character creation software and it's free.

Having experience with 3DS Max, XSI and Modo i'd prefer Modo for character modeling, it's really good for modeling free form stuff and also has basic painting and sculpting.

(Max is good for technical modeling and XSI is great for animating characters.)

Modo is not that expensive and there was or is a cheap version in Steam.

Blender seems pretty good too but i lack experience.

Blender is an amazing piece of software!

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

I have however found a good program (Blender) that should fit my needs.

Blender is the best free 3D software you can find, it's even better than most payed software and just under Maya and Max, for making game models.

A thing to note is that learning how to make characters takes years, even the most talented 3D modelers spend four years learning before they get good at making organic models.

I would advise just making simple models, for characters if you want to focus on game making.

Mixamo is good if you have no skills.

Makehuman is one of the best 3D character creation software and it's free.

I second Mixamo and Makehuman. Both are excellent tools for fast rigging (Mixamo) and for fast character creation (Makehuman). I've personally had to model a character for my 3d art class, and I can agree that it takes quite a long time.

At the minimum, if you use Makehuman, you can always get a character mesh to about where you want it and modify that mesh a bit later in Blender if need be. What I've been doing is using Makehuman to get a base human mesh and then modeling the clothes and armor off of the mesh later. I'm sure that you could do something similar as well.

How are your skills with modeling (this'll probably help us answer the question)?

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement