• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

My game doesn't look good, what do I do wrong?

This topic is 434 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The last many months I have been working on creating a complete game. During development I focussed mainly on gameplay and level design. Most parts turned out really good. I am happy about:

- gameplay

- level design

- local coop mode

- controls

- music

The game is ready to ship, however there is one major problem. After a failed greenlight campaign, I learned that the graphics are not good enough for a release.

Some notes about the graphics:

- I wanted to avoid pixel art. Every asset is drawn using vectors, and exported in high resolution.

- There is a lot of detail hidden in the game, for example the wheels of the jeep steer. Still, it feels 'too clean' and flat.

- The particle system handles debris, smoke, flames, explosions, craters and sparks. In busy levels over 30.000 particles should make it more alive. It still feels 'boring'. Why?

- The levels are dynamic and change during gameplay. Roads change. Levels are not ´drawn' images. This is nice, but it looks like a flash game. While it is c++/opengl.

- Everything moves smooth. Helicopters fly in and land and enemies do not move as they are on rails.

- The menu's are ugly...

I am definitely not an artist but a programmer. I could really use some hints on what I could do to make it visually more appealing.

DHlKJt.png

2WccJO.png

Link to game page, including images, video's and download link:

https://spdr870.itch.io/operation-sheep-defense

Edited by spdr870

Advertisement
Needs some bigger, darker shadows. (I had to look at the full size images and squint to see them.) Edited by Nypyren

So lighting, specular lighting, better shadows and bloom should do the trick? Did some quick experiments with just lighting and basic bloom. Specular lighting is harder to implement, but I will try. Did not do the darker shadows yet. I attached two screenprints, one is at night. It is really rough, but I attempted some hdr effects. What do you think?

Edited by spdr870

About the menu problem, we're going to need to see those if you want input on that. Something you could do to make your levels look better is to add a transition between the edges of the road and the terrain. Another issue is how simple the terrain is. I would highly recommend adding moderately different textures for each level. So varying types of shrubbery/grass for the green areas and perhaps more rocky/cracked patches for the more desert-like areas. 

Edited by ChriHK

Posted some screenshots of the (embarrassing) menu's... From left to right; main menu (the sheep walks by), coop levels, second campain menu, level menu.

Thanks dbaumgart, that is some good advise. Hiring an artist is indeed not feasible, this is a one-man side project. I think I might be able to apply your feedback, and then see what the result is. I probably go for cartoony, this will also work well for explosions I think. Maybe even replace gradients for more solid highlights.

About: "An asset or effect can't be truly seen in isolation!". Couldn't agree more, thats why I descided not to use asset packs. Those assets might look better, but out of place.

If I were you I would do some tests using real time 3D, maybe with an overhead orthographic camera with the environment and actors as live meshes.
- Animation can look smoother and more sophisticated, with more variation -- objects will actually be rotated rather than drawn as sprites.
- Using simple shaders and dynamic lighting\shadows will improve your visuals without much effort from your part. This can still work with a cartoon direction.

- The assets won't be too difficult to create. You have a few organic forms and the rest is mechanical objects, mostly segmented. These are simple to build with primitives and a little polygon modeling.

Some reference:

2nk6jhi.png image.png

Photo_Jul_25_10_45_59_PM.png image.png

WInz_Zxr.gif

• Doing a black line stroke inside of text is not a good thing to do, don't do it!

What's your reasoning? Subtitles on video have a black stroke, and that's text.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement