• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
fire67

What are Jittering and Dithering

This topic is 530 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there,

I've heard a lot about jittering and dithering but I would like to know more about thise techniques. Here are some general questions that might also be useful to others :)

• What are the differences between both ?
  • When are they used the most ?
  • What's the best way to implement them, any algorithm example ?
  • Can we combine them ?

Thanks a lot !

Advertisement

Thanks for the answer @Hodgman ! :)

We talk very much about blue noise those days, this noise type can be used to jitter samples locations, right ? Are there other general and efficient jittering technics (ie : Poisson sampling) or does this depends on the situation.

Are there some very efficient dithering patterns ?

There is an important difference between the two types of intentional noise: jittered sample locations are meant to be misaligned with any pattern in the sampled data, so that the average of the sampled values is a good lowpass filter without inappropriate bumps in the frequency response; dithered sample values are meant to approximate an intermediate true value that cannot be represented exactly with the average of multiple samples, thanks to a procedure that rounds sampled values up or down with the appropriate probability.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!