• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
fridaynetworkdev

What engine or modding tools can be used/are the best to create a RTS game?

This topic is 518 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone,

I already worked on a 2D rts-like game in unity and in libgdx. I put a lot of work into it and managed to get the world generation, pathfinding, ai, building system and a resource system working (just the art and design part was terrible). Now I did a course in 3D modelling and I want to recreate my game in 3D. I'm facing the problem to implement all the algorithms I mentioned above in a 3D engine. Of course I could reuse some of my code, but I think it's just not worth the effort. Now I'm looking for games to mod or for a nice engine which has some of this prebuilt. Learning a new programming/scripting language shouldn't be a problem.

Also, can I create a standalone game with the DotA 2 workshop tools? And is a building system doable? (I don't have any expirience with it)

I already looked my question up, but most of the answers I found weren't really helpfull. So back to my question - What engine/modding tools would you recommend? 

Advertisement

Thanks NLScotty  :D

I appreciate your answer, but the question is if it has some of the parts prebuilt. I think, I would be able to do it myself, but I don't want to (if I can avoid it).  :unsure:

I would be able to do it myself, but I don't want to (if I can avoid it).  :unsure:

Unreal does have a lot already built in, including path finding and AI... that's essentially what an engine is.

There's also a reasonable asset store with all sorts of 3D models and animations available.

Thanks NLScotty  :D

I appreciate your answer, but the question is if it has some of the parts prebuilt. I think, I would be able to do it myself, but I don't want to (if I can avoid it).  :unsure:

Well we would need a list of 'parts' you think of. It has camera's, pathfinding, drawing, loading meshes. What do you need? You still need to do stuff yourself of course, altough ue makes ur life 100000x easier.

Starcraft 2 has a very powerful map editor. You can add custom units for a map.
The big drawback to a starcraft map is you have to run it inside of starcraft with no standalone executable.

Hey guys, I'm also thinking about building a RTS.

What about Unity as the engine? Could it work fine or it isn't worth the trouble?

Also, how hard is it to achieve a "playable" state in the RTS genre? I mean, how polished must the game be before it can actually enjoyable? (I'm used to Starcraft and Warcraft, but that is an unreachable standard that is more intimidating than inspiring right now!)

Also, how hard is it to achieve a "playable" state in the RTS genre? I mean, how polished must the game be before it can actually enjoyable? (I'm used to Starcraft and Warcraft, but that is an unreachable standard that is more intimidating than inspiring right now!)

I've played quite a few amateur/indie RTS games (it's my favorite genre).  While I'm generally pretty patient with games still in development, the one thing that instantly turns me off is poor control schemes.  If you get that part done correctly right from the start, and I don't care if I'm only controlling different coloured squares.

world generation, pathfinding, ai, building system and a resource system

your typical 3D engine will handle the pathfinding. world generation, AI, a building system, and a resource system are all game specific features. you may find some generic AI in some generic engines.   you may find some of the game specific features in a similar game you can mod.    but that would be about it. 

I've played quite a few amateur/indie RTS games (it's my favorite genre).  While I'm generally pretty patient with games still in development, the one thing that instantly turns me off is poor control schemes.  If you get that part done correctly right from the start, and I don't care if I'm only controlling different coloured squares.

Thanks for your input!

Could you give me a indie title I should aspire for?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!