• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Josheir

Visual Studio Problem.

This topic is 621 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been chatting with a Visual Studio  helper and we can't solve why Visual Studio is entering disassembly when I step with F10 through the global area of the main.cpp.  F11 and Continue works fine.  I'm using Visual Studio 14 for C++ on windows 10 Home.  

I have been online/offline and the disassembly function is _initterm.  We've changed tools/options/debugging/general/enable source server support and tools/options/debugging/symbols/microsoft symbol servers and the specify exclude modules.

The problem is with ucrtbased.dll and its .pdb.  We've tried updating and the .pdb is in the cache and there are more than one version of ucrtbased.dll.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem or knows the soution?

Thank you,

Joshuae

The winmain is the main function.

Advertisement

What do you mean "step with F10 through the global area of the main.cpp"? If you're talking about things that happen before main() executes, then I'd certainly expect that to be assembly since it won't be your code.

What do you mean "step with F10 through the global area of the main.cpp"? If you're talking about things that happen before main() executes, then I'd certainly expect that to be assembly since it won't be your code.

I have some global objects that initialize before main().  I can step in to the constructor and step there and I can continue to another break-point, I just can't step through the main code without entering the disassembly.  Is this normal?

Tools -> Options -> Debugging -> General -> Enable Just My Code. Should fix it.

It was already selected, didn't fix it.

Thank you,

Josheir

Edited by Josheir

Is this normal?

If you are trying to step from the constructor code to your code in main, yes, it's not unexpected, since there is stuff in between that isn't yours and which you may not have the symbols for.

You should have the symbols for most of the Win32 bootstrap, I've certainly stepped through it before (as C). It may require you to have a particular SDK or SDK version installed, though. You are likely seeing a configuration issue but without a minimal reproduction case it's unlikely we'll be able to do anything but guess at solutions. 

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!