• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
chaoticbob

Vulkan Limits on max number of textures

This topic is 531 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

Is there a cap or limit that one can query to find out what the maximum number of textures or buffers that can be created against a committed resource? I'm trying to find a parallel to Vulkan's allocation limits.  

Thanks,

Advertisement

If you take a look at http://vulkan.gpuinfo.org/listreports.php?limit=maxMemoryAllocationCount many old drivers listed 4096 as the max limit; but for these same cards newer drivers list >4 Billion. Notable exceptions:

1. PowerVR Rogue G6xxx cards have a limit of 9999
  2. A few Intel HD cards have a limit of ~500.000; but it's unsure if this is due to driver or an actual HW limit. Anyway 500k is a very high limit, you'll likely run out of memory before hitting that threshold. 532480 * 4kb pages = 2.03GB

So it's a near-safe bet this capability was added to include the PowerVR cards; since it's the only one with a low value. Most likely Microsoft never considered this would be a problem in DX12 (where PVR cards were never planned to be supported), other than hardware tiers and Feature Levels of course.

Edited by Matias Goldberg

Interesting. Now that you mention it, it's not the Driver version what's problematic, but rather the OS. All Linux OS are saying 4294969856 while Windows 10 says 4096.

It seems I was wrong in my assessment.

Ahh! Sorry, I forgot to mention that in my original. My reasoning for asking was because of Windows...since DirectX obviously doesn't run on Linux :)

UPDATE: I've been playing around with CreateCommitedResource on windows and it seems that DX12's memory management is not so straight forward. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but it seems like the OS is moving around resources as my test program is asking for more and more memory. Guessing this from all the other application's draws becoming painfully slow.

Edited by chaoticbob

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!