how to create mobile games for differnent screen size

Started by
5 comments, last by Helo7777 7 years, 2 months ago

i want to start developing mobile games but dnt know were to start, i picked up godot game engine, but now i m struggling with resolution different screen size,

and resolution.

plz help!!!

Advertisement

You should better use Unity engine.

Don't use pixels for buttons and text size - use for example % of width and height of the screen.

%width for sizes is a good place to start but for Android there is the concept of display-independent pixels (and similar on Apple Devices I assume but I have no experience there). They will be the same real size no matter the screen size or resolution. I say they are better as they stop you ending up with huge buttons when you run your app/game on tablets compared to phones. Personally I set min/max values that things can be using display-independent pixels and allow my ui to scale between those values. You will still have other issues such as differing aspect ratios.

Interested in Fractals? Check out my App, Fractal Scout, free on the Google Play store.

While most android device have fairly standard screen resolutions, iOS devices have their own size sets.

Therefore, use proportional UI designs.

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

For 3D rendering you always take resolution into account, this is done by the projection matrix.

You also account the viewport you are rendering into, for example in scissocring process.

For GUI the android sdk supports supports small,normal, large and xlarge layouts.

You can also assign DPI (density).

Specifically for godot, please use their docs:

http://docs.godotengine.org/en/stable/tutorials/engine/multiple_resolutions.html

I also learn the engine and they have good documentation.

Saturating a smarphone interface is a bad idea: it looks ugly and it turns unusable... so you can almost always develop while thinking in the lowest common denominator... That's also how most apps are done.
Right now I'm doing an interface. I'm scaling up the interface by width, and I'm locking the application to panoramic view modes (which isn't a loss because of the game's mechanics). You should check what's possible with Godot.
I don't have experience with godot so I can't help you there unfortunately.
There are a couple of things you can do in your layout file to help with different sized screens. Have a look into "RelativeLayout" or "LinearLayout" with "weightSum" and "layout_weight". These will allow you to place things with percentages that will scale with the screen

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement