• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By Jiraya
      For a 2D game, does using a float2 for position increases performance in any way?
      I know that in the end the vertex shader will have to return a float4 anyway, but does using a float2 decreases the amount of data that will have to be sent from the CPU to the GPU?

• By ucfchuck
      I am feeding in 16 bit unsigned integer data to process in a compute shader and i need to get a standard deviation.
      So I read in a series of samples and push them into float arrays
      float vals1[9], vals2[9], vals3[9], vals4[9]; int x = 0,y=0; for ( x = 0; x < 3; x++) { for (y = 0; y < 3; y++) { vals1[3 * x + y] = (float) (asuint(Input1[threadID.xy + int2(x - 1, y - 1)].x)); vals2[3 * x + y] = (float) (asuint(Input2[threadID.xy + int2(x - 1, y - 1)].x)); vals3[3 * x + y] = (float) (asuint(Input3[threadID.xy + int2(x - 1, y - 1)].x)); vals4[3 * x + y] = (float) (asuint(Input4[threadID.xy + int2(x - 1, y - 1)].x)); } } I can send these values out directly and the data is as expected

Output1[threadID.xy] = (uint) (vals1[4] ); Output2[threadID.xy] = (uint) (vals2[4] ); Output3[threadID.xy] = (uint) (vals3[4] ); Output4[threadID.xy] = (uint) (vals4[4] ); however if i do anything to that data it is destroyed.
      If i add a
      vals1[4] = vals1[4]/2; 
      or a
      vals1[4] = vals[1]-vals[4];
      the data is gone and everything comes back 0.

How does one go about converting a uint to a float and performing operations on it and then converting back to a rounded uint?
    • By fs1
      I have been trying to see how the ID3DInclude, and how its methods Open and Close work.
      I would like to add a custom path for the D3DCompile function to search for some of my includes.
      I have not found any working example. Could someone point me on how to implement these functions? I would like D3DCompile to look at a custom C:\Folder path for some of the include files.
      Thanks
    • By stale
      I'm continuing to learn more about terrain rendering, and so far I've managed to load in a heightmap and render it as a tessellated wireframe (following Frank Luna's DX11 book). However, I'm getting some really weird behavior where a large section of the wireframe is being rendered with a yellow color, even though my pixel shader is hard coded to output white. 

The parts of the mesh that are discolored changes as well, as pictured below (mesh is being clipped by far plane).

Here is my pixel shader. As mentioned, I simply hard code it to output white:
      float PS(DOUT pin) : SV_Target { return float4(1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f); } I'm completely lost on what could be causing this, so any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. If I can help by providing more information please let me know.
    • By evelyn4you
      Hello,
      i try to implement voxel cone tracing in my game engine.
      I have read many publications about this, but some crucial portions are still not clear to me.
      At first step i try to emplement the easiest "poor mans" method
      a.  my test scene "Sponza Atrium" is voxelized completetly in a static voxel grid 128^3 ( structured buffer contains albedo)
      b. i dont care about "conservative rasterization" and dont use any sparse voxel access structure
      c. every voxel does have the same color for every side ( top, bottom, front .. )
      d.  one directional light injects light to the voxels ( another stuctured buffer )
      I will try to say what i think is correct ( please correct me )
      GI lighting a given vertecie  in a ideal method
      A.  we would shoot many ( e.g. 1000 ) rays in the half hemisphere which is oriented according to the normal of that vertecie
      B.  we would take into account every occluder ( which is very much work load) and sample the color from the hit point.
      C. according to the angle between ray and the vertecie normal we would weigth ( cosin ) the color and sum up all samples and devide by the count of rays
      Voxel GI lighting
      In priciple we want to do the same thing with our voxel structure.
      Even if we would know where the correct hit points of the vertecie are we would have the task to calculate the weighted sum of many voxels.
      Saving time for weighted summing up of colors of each voxel
      To save the time for weighted summing up of colors of each voxel we build bricks or clusters.
      Every 8 neigbour voxels make a "cluster voxel" of level 1, ( this is done recursively for many levels ).
      The color of a side of a "cluster voxel" is the average of the colors of the four containing voxels sides with the same orientation.

After having done this we can sample the far away parts just by sampling the coresponding "cluster voxel with the coresponding level" and get the summed up color.
      Actually this process is done be mip mapping a texture that contains the colors of the voxels which places the color of the neighbouring voxels also near by in the texture.
      Cone tracing, howto ??
      Here my understanding is confus ?? How is the voxel structure efficiently traced.
      I simply cannot understand how the occlusion problem is fastly solved so that we know which single voxel or "cluster voxel" of which level we have to sample.
      Supposed,  i am in a dark room that is filled with many boxes of different kind of sizes an i have a pocket lamp e.g. with a pyramid formed light cone
      - i would see some single voxels near or far
      - i would also see many different kind of boxes "clustered voxels" of different sizes which are partly occluded
      How do i make a weighted sum of this ligting area ??
      e.g. if i want to sample a "clustered voxel level 4" i have to take into account how much per cent of the area of this "clustered voxel" is occluded.
      Please be patient with me, i really try to understand but maybe i need some more explanation than others
      best regards evelyn

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement

Advertisement

I wonder if it is considered good practice to render each character from a texture to a separate quad

I don't understand the question. You _must_ render individual quads (or points that expand to quads, or some GPU-driven conversion of a text string into quads), otherwise you couldn't get anything to show up in the first place.

You _must_ render individual quads (or points that expand to quads, or some GPU-driven conversion of a text string into quads), otherwise you couldn't get anything to show up in the first place.

I wonder if one draws one separate quad for each character?

I didn't really like the approach in that tutorial for text rendering.

Instead I used a bitmap font renderer where each character is part of a texture with a known offset. It works very well and my game used to be built originally on those tutorials.

For example, see my blog post (which has in depth source code): https://www.gamedev.net/blog/1059/entry-2260816-making-my-own-spritefont-implementation/

Let me know if this helps! :)

Instead I used a bitmap font renderer where each character is part of a texture with a known offset. It works very well and my game used to be built originally on those tutorials.

Interesting stuff. I also do not need transform related stuff inside the font class itself but will just add a full transformation as for other geometry.

But I am going to take a look first at DirectXTK since I want to keep the number of lib dependencies as low as possible (<> d2d1.lib).

I wonder if one draws one separate quad for each character?

I still don't understand. I mean, yes, and that's what that tutorial does. Nothing shows up on screen where you don't render a triangle (or quad, etc.). You could render a single quad, but then you'd only be able to provide a single location on screen and a single set of texture coordinates, so you'd end up with just a single character on the screen.

One quad per character. You can use a texture atlas as others here are talking about to make it possible to use _instancing_ to render the quads, or to use a GPU vertex generation approach, but there will ultimately be one quad per character on the screen.

(There _are_ ways to use a single "coverage" quad for an entire input string, but those are advanced specialized cases that IMO are more novelty than anything.)

One quad per character. You can use a texture atlas as others here are talking about to make it possible to use _instancing_ to render the quads, or to use a GPU vertex generation approach, but there will ultimately be one quad per character on the screen.

It is just difficult to grasp, that programs like Blender suffer on models of 10M triangles, whereas a screen full of text characters would be no problem. 

I feel the quads per character approach would be faster until maybe perhaps leaning toward screen height sized font because of sample fetch(ignoring insane texture memory at that extreme). Its neat to see a vector implementation but wonder if it would be worse at tiny font sizes.

I'm using D3D9 still. After a lot of messing with quad rendering, I finally profiled ID3DXFont and found it perfectly performant, even for a 10 line in game console.

YMMV of course, but it is so much simpler. No idea if such a thing exists in 11/12 etc.