• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Need help creating top down shooter in game maker studio

This topic is 435 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Forgive me if this is not the correct forum. However I do have a question about Game Maker Studio.

Making a top down shooter is not so hard in itself, but the part I'm having difficulty on is I would like the camera to move and rotate the view fixing the player at the bottom of the screen and then moving the level around the player. Is there a way to move the camera with the player rather than having the player move around the screen? I know it's possible to angle the camera around the center of the screen (for lack of a better word, the origin), is there any way to make the player the origin?

Thanks.

Edited by greentiger

Advertisement

I've never used Game Maker Studio, but it seems like you're looking for this:

https://docs.yoyogames.com/source/dadiospice/001_advanced%20use/more%20about%20rooms/views.html

At the bottom of that documentation page, it discusses object following for a view, so your player or whatever you want would be the object to follow. 

If you give more detail about how it is set up, I might be able to give a better explanation. Hopefully this helps though!

tomd1013's reply is what you want.  As an additional point you can take a manual approach to update the view during the "step" event... for example: view[0].left = character.x - view[0].width/2 -- and set top,width,height in a similar way.  I'd do this to add manual effects like shake, or pan, or more creative effects.   Pardon any incorrect GML it's been a while.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement