• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Based on my small number if requirements, which game engine?

This topic is 439 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello! I have an idea of a 3D game which is a battle simulator with the highest "realism" possible: you are a warrior seen in third person and you fight another warrior in a gladiator arena.

I'm searching for which development environment to use. Based on the info listed below, could you recommend anything? Thanks!

Experience

- Basic knowledge in java

- Could make a somewhat decent 2D game in Game Maker Studio

Requirements

- Highly detailed collision system. If I attack with my sword and hit my enemy's shield I want the sword's motion to stop at the coordinates of his shield. If i hit him in the leg I want the swords motion to stop where his leg is.

- Wide range of model animations. How the attack animation is displayed depends on if the attack is blocked or not, where I aim and distance to the target.

- Adaptable 3D models. For example the warriors should be able to drop his weapon or have his helmet fall off.

Biggest requirement of them all: I want to do it the "easy way" and let the program do much of the work for me where possible. Based on my experience some degree of drag-and-drop coding would probably be required. If a foundation of character animation and collision is already in place that would be a big plus!

I figured the best approach could be to create a skeleton or "stick man" and code all the movement and collision for this model, and then just dress it up with different skins and maybe tweak it a bit to create all the characters appearing in the game.

I would appreciate som words of advice. I'm actually quity eager to start creating!  :lol:

Edited by Cloudd

Advertisement

Usual disclaimer: you should make a _much simpler_ 3d game first and familiarize yourself with an engine/toolset in the process.

I do HIGHLY HIGHLY Agree with these statement.

However, I think under your list of features and requests UE4 (4.13) is perfect for what you need.

The best thing, because of your custom requirements, would be to build your game engine from scratch

Jk dont do that - thats a terrible idea..

But honestly what your trying to accomplish here contentwise is the equivalent time committment (maybe a bit less not sure)

Usual disclaimer: you should make a _much simpler_ 3d game first and familiarize yourself with an engine/toolset in the process.

Thanks for all your comments! The idea would be to familiarize with 3D game development first and then do this game as a final step when I'm ready.

I do HIGHLY HIGHLY Agree with these statement.

However, I think under your list of features and requests UE4 (4.13) is perfect for what you need.

Yep I agree! I will of course level up my game creator skills before I try to create this game...

Hello! I have an idea of a 3D game which is a battle simulator with the highest "realism" possible: you are a warrior seen in third person and you fight another warrior in a gladiator arena.

I'm searching for which development environment to use. Based on the info listed below, could you recommend anything? Thanks!

Experience

- Basic knowledge in java

- Could make a somewhat decent 2D game in Game Maker Studio

Requirements

- Highly detailed collision system. If I attack with my sword and hit my enemy's shield I want the sword's motion to stop at the coordinates of his shield. If i hit him in the leg I want the swords motion to stop where his leg is.

- Wide range of model animations. How the attack animation is displayed depends on if the attack is blocked or not, where I aim and distance to the target.

- Adaptable 3D models. For example the warriors should be able to drop his weapon or have his helmet fall off.

Biggest requirement of them all: I want to do it the "easy way" and let the program do much of the work for me where possible. Based on my experience some degree of drag-and-drop coding would probably be required. If a foundation of character animation and collision is already in place that would be a big plus!

I figured the best approach could be to create a skeleton or "stick man" and code all the movement and collision for this model, and then just dress it up with different skins and maybe tweak it a bit to create all the characters appearing in the game.

I would appreciate som words of advice. I'm actually quity eager to start creating!  :lol:

Your requirements don't actually seem to be "Engine Requirements".  These are not normally things that a generic games engine would or should have built in.  They require mainly assets and code that use the engine in a way that is specific for your game.

However you may find that other people have already done this work for you.  You could for example go with Unity and find various bits of code that people have made available on the Asset Store to accomplish what you want.  It is still going to be tricky.

I want to do it the "easy way"

Hah ha, even with an engine that can handle all of your requirements (as suggested by Navyman UE4 is an excellent choice) there is no "easy way". Game development is hard. Take SeanMiddleditchs advice and start small. Save your magnum opus until you have some experience under your belt.

Your requirements don't actually seem to be "Engine Requirements".  These are not normally things that a generic games engine would or should have built in.  They require mainly assets and code that use the engine in a way that is specific for your game.

However you may find that other people have already done this work for you.  You could for example go with Unity and find various bits of code that people have made available on the Asset Store to accomplish what you want.  It is still going to be tricky.

Yeah assets may be the way to go!

I want to do it the "easy way"

Hah ha, even with an engine that can handle all of your requirements (as suggested by Navyman UE4 is an excellent choice) there is no "easy way". Game development is hard. Take SeanMiddleditchs advice and start small. Save your magnum opus until you have some experience under your belt.

I would actually say there is kind of an easy way, or at least a least difficult way! Using a developer engine and of top of that using modules and other premade content seems easier than doing something from scratch. But of course it will never be like for example the old Warcraft 3 editor where you just klick around a bit for fun without coding skills and suddenly you have a game... But it would be pretty sweet tho..

Edited by Cloudd

I would actually say there is kind of an easy way, or at least a least difficult way!

OK I'll give you that... using an engine to build a game is easier than building an engine to build a game :D  

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement