Is no one affected/discussing the new iOS China requirement?

Started by
2 comments, last by monalaw 7 years, 2 months ago
Hey all. Saw this yesterday on the iTunes Connect page, then here on reddit:
Am surprised there isn't more chatter on it.
One of the nice things about the App Store (viz a viz Android) was that you did *not* need to go this whole arduous route, find a publisher, etc. for China and could just go direct via the store.
I would think this would affect lots of indie devs making money there.
I'm dying to know what the timeframe is (will they pull current games or only require updates to abide?, etc.), what people's strategies are (I can't imagine everyone is intending to sign with a publisher just like that), etc.
Thoughts all? We can't be the only ones affected :)
Advertisement

Nothing?

One of the nice things about the App Store (viz a viz Android) was that you did *not* need to go this whole arduous route, find a publisher, etc. for China and could just go direct via the store. I would think this would affect lots of indie devs making money there.
I'm not doing mobile/china, so not affected. Thanks for sharing though, I will ask around :)

As far as I know, all the indies that I know who are selling games in China actually do use a publisher though instead of doing it themselves.

It's such a different market to the west -- there isn't just a single app store like Google Play / etc, so it's a lot of work to get your game onto as many of their app stores as possible. Their spending patterns are different, so the same monetization strategies don't apply. If you have a free-to-play / freemium game, it needs to be re-balanced for china. Their gameplay preferences are different - gameplay often needs to be re-tweaked for China. Response to marketing is different - advertising / artwork often needs to be re-done. Legislation is very different -- stuff like this happens!! etc... All of this makes partnering up with a local publisher a smart move.

We typically have our indie clients go through a Chinese publisher-- not sure it's worthwhile not to considering the difficulty enforcing legal action against clones if you're in the US (Chinese publisher is designated as authorized agent for enforcement purposes). I'll check around though. Thank you for sharing!
~Mona Ibrahim
Senior associate @ IELawgroup (we are all about games) Interactive Entertainment Law Group

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement