How long would it take to build a small Xbox One or PS4 game in Unity Game Engine?

Started by
20 comments, last by guzumba 7 years, 2 months ago

I'm a C# software developer and I'm looking to start game development using Unity. I'm trying to get my feet wet with the Unity game engine before I decide what type of game I want to develop. I'll probably start small and build from there. Just curious if anyone has created a game for either Xbox One or PS4 using Unity and how long did it take? How many people did you have working on the game?

Thanks everyone!

Andrew

Advertisement

How small is small? How big is the team? What assets do they already have?

The games still need to pass certification which takes some time. The games have minimum standards which really aren't that bad but are enough to trip up most hobby development.

We have put some of these together (not on either of those platforms, but similar) in about 3 months, but that was with an experienced team of about ten people and a good collection of existing themed assets.

Well... if I was going to guess maybe a small game would be like Tetris? That's purely a guess and correct me if I'm wrong to think that! Currently it's just me (1 man team ?) while I learn the engine. I've been a backend dev for a web site the last 5 years and figured it was time to start. Wanting to make a career out of it. You said you had 10 people on your team that were experienced? How many years does most of your team have under their belts?

I have an idea of what I want to build but not much other than drawings and notes. What website would you recommend for checking those min requirements?

Making a tetris game for the desktop would give you some experience, and a lowerbound estimate.

Making a tetris game for the desktop would give you some experience, and a lowerbound estimate.

Awesome I'll aim for something similar to that at first!

What you should not forget about is to claim the licensing from Sony/ Microsoft includign DevKits and pass the review of those companies finally

I'm a C# software developer and I'm looking to start game development using Unity. I'm trying to get my feet wet with the Unity game engine before I decide what type of game I want to develop. I'll probably start small and build from there. Just curious if anyone has created a game for either Xbox One or PS4 using Unity and how long did it take? How many people did you have working on the game?

Thanks everyone!

Andrew

Why are you so focused on Xbone or PS4?

Do you have a licence to develop for those platforms.

If you are just after an idea of what ps4 / bone games have already been created then this page allows you to filter by platform:

https://unity3d.com/showcase/gallery/?platform=ps4&genre=&gametype=t-all#gamesstart

Also what is your definition of a "small game"?

A simple basic version of Tetris, Breakout, Space Invaders or Flappy Bird could be accomplished in Unity in a few hours to a weekend depending on your abilities. The games on Unitys page will have taken much longer than this because of all the creative Juice that went into making them.

If you want to add all the bits of "Juice" to make it a game that people might actually want to play then it will increase to maybe weeks or months depending on how many ideas you have and how many assets you need to create.

1 year

1 year

How many people did you work with? How big would you have considered your game?

How many people did you work with? How big would you have considered your game?
Without clear and precise definition of what the game does, any number is as good as any other number.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement