So how many of you are would be one man studios?

Started by
20 comments, last by SaurabhTorne 7 years, 2 months ago

By one man studio I mean that you are in charge of all five elements:

game design, programming, art, story, and music.

So who's insane? Like me? Raise your hands. Let's talk about anything.

Advertisement

As a somewhat solo dev, I can say that there is nothing glorious or intelligent about lone wolfing if you can avoid it. If anything, it is a massive project liability.

I qualify as solo, but it's not my full time job. I do solo stuff for fun mainly. I have to admit though that it takes a while to get anything finished. Ah well, I'll keep slogging away...

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Almost-solo full time here. Character concepts art + model & texturing is outsourced, and I remix a ton of artsy asset store stuff.

Hi, solo developer currently on full-time journey right now.
By training I'm a programmer, but I always loved design, art and fiddling with any creative multimedia stuff so it is kind-of a good fit for me.
If this venture ends up being a sustainable business I can see and accept myself sitting in a "director" post or something similar, but that is the far far future and chances are pretty slim, so I'm focusing on making and delivering games...

I don't consider myself insane though :) , I just love making games, every aspect, and I want to become a great craftsman at it.

Blog | Overburdened | KREEP | Memorynth | @blindmessiah777 Magic Item Tech+30% Enhanced GameDev

Depends what yo mean by studio?

If you mean is it my main source of income? then the answer is No.

I just do it as a hobby and then release something every now and again. I used to be one of the guys that said "I can't do graphics" or "I don't understand music" and I used to go looking around the internet for cheap or free resources or somebody to do the assets. The problem is that non of the assets available suit exactly the game I wanted to make and that most of the people offering their services have their own lives and work to their own schedule and not mine.

Then I decided to actually teach myself and found out actually making animated 3D models in Blender or 2D Vector art in Inkscape is actually surprisingly easier than I thought. I still cannot draw a stickman on paper but, I can box model, rig and animate a 3D character or produce an animated sprite using Inkscape and Spine (I still cannot do pixel art though but, thats more due to a lack of patience than anything).

The only thing I get externally now is Music.

I do it as a hobby, and I STILL found a need to employ people.

Since you have exactly 1 gamedev.net post, I assume you are "insane" at doing everything at a very basic/entry level quality? What's impressive is actually releasing a game.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

Truly solo game developers tend to be rather few and far between.

Doing it all on your own is hard. Not only is it that much more work for a single person to cover, but you also lose back on valuable team interplay and discussion on things. Rubber-Ducking only gets you so far when you hit up on a problem in a project.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

I shouldn't be talking about this, I should be trying to figure out how amazon's IAP works.

It's hard, yes, and you can't allow yourself to go full academic in one single unimportant issue. Aside the obvious... Sometime ago I heard of a story: During some of the past gold rushes, the shovel sellers made most of the money. I think we can tell we're at this point in some parts of the industry. Naive people buy shovels, and there's a golden path for them to follow.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement