• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Quat

3D transform to get 2D transform on projection plane

This topic is 523 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a set A of 3D points. I have the camera and projection matrix so I can find their projected points on an image plane to get projected points {p1, ..., pn}. Suppose the set A is transformed by a rigid body transform T to a new set B of 3D points. Again I can project these points by the same camera to get projected points {q1,...,qn}.

I am trying to do image alignment. It looks like the idea is to use least squares to find the 2D alignment transform (http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~urtasun/courses/CV/lecture06.pdf).

My question is, can I use knowledge of the 3D rigid body transform T to find this 2D transform faster or immediately?  In other words, given a 3d rigid body transform, can I figure out how that transforms the corresponding projected points given a camera?

Advertisement

Sure. If you know the points before and after the transform, you can just multiply them with the projection matrix, apply perspective division if needed and then subtract the old point from the new point to get the displacement in the image plane.

The interesting part will be to find a transformation matrix that performs these transformations in the image plane. I have no knowledge about that through :)

Edited by rnlf

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!