I'm being told I must be fudging a lot om my resume, since it's too impressive....

Started by
26 comments, last by GeneralJist 7 years, 1 month ago

I deleted your link because it contains your phone number and other personal identifying information; are you sure you want that visible? If not you should scrub it before re-posting the link.

Advertisement

I would definitely agree that, from the perspective of a games industry hiring manager, there's a lot of content-free text in this resume. I can absolutely see how that looks like padding.

Personally I find objective statements like the one at the top of your resume completely useless. Others feel differently, but I think they are just a waste of space. Yours in particular leans towards the side of over-adjectivizing everything. Everything has a positive qualifier like "intensely," "extensive," "superior." It can come off as showy. Also: never, ever, ever, ever, ever, claim "superior communication skills" in the same paragraph that you have spelling, grammatical, or (in this case) punctuation issues (you mis-capitalize "human Resources"). Somebody will seize on that and roll their eyes.

Less subjectively, "core skills" or similar skills listings are devoid of real meaning. Or more specifically, what they mean is often very different from person-to-person, so by including such a listing you place yourself entirely at the mercy of the interpretation of the resume reader. Who you don't know anything about and have no ability to interact or engage with. So these things are just a way to dig yourself a hole you'll need to work out of.

Further (addressing the topic you originally brought up) the more abstract and wishy-washy the skill you list, the more that does tend to look like puffing yourself up. How do you have "team dynamics" skills, exactly? To me that just reads as "not a total jerk," which is sort of something I expect as a baseline qualification anyhow and will suss out during the interview. Listing too many qualities that should be baseline, expected-of-everybody qualities in such a prominent place on your resume could also be interpreted as fluff.

Many of the skills you list apply to one kind of job or another; if you're applying to be a producer at a game studio, for example, the skills under "customer service" aren't as relevant. That makes them look like fluff. If you don't take my advice and ditch this section altogether, I would then urge you to at least strip out the pieces that are not 100% critical to the role you're applying to (sure, producers make phone calls, but that's not their main role nor where they tend to spend most of their time).

You have inconsistent capitalization in the Core Skills section as well, by the way, and a few entries look like they have extra leading spaces.

Under your education section, I don't really understand the relevance of your "publications," which mostly just seem to be two undergraduate projects you did. Your presentation of them makes it sound like you just talked to people. This does not appear useful or interesting. If you're going to list these I would urge you to find a way to describe them that better illustrates whatever original thought you put into them.

Both of your experience sections share a pet peeve of mine. This is somewhat subjective as well, for what it is worth, but I really don't like seeing bullet points that have a bunch of commas in them. Stuff like "managed, planned, reported and executed" irks me because, like the skills section, it doesn't really tell me what was cool or interesting about this project you were on. It doesn't tell me what interesting challenges you solved, it looks instead like it's trying to impress with as many critical buzzwords as possible. From my perspective, the experience section of your resume should be the primary springboard for having an interesting conversation during the interview itself. The less material you give me to pique my interest about your accomplishments and why you might be an asset, the less interested in you I am.

As for the padding issue... the professional section does look padded. It has the same sort of problem as the skills section: it lists everything, rather than what is relevant to a particular job role. Most of this stuff would be considered fluff for a game industry producer position, for example. Probably only the most recent item, the Light and Salt thing, would be considered by most people reviewing a producer candidate resume as related. Maybe the one after that as well; but that makes the rest of it look like filler to pad out the resume and make it longer.

You have spacing and capitalization issues here as well.

In your volunteer experience section, "rev share C corporation" is not an accomplishment. Also I'd be very wary of the wording "Guide the modification production for Command & Conquer 3," that you use for Tiberium Secrets. It's very easy to misunderstand this sentence as claiming you worked on Command and Conquer 3.

I find the stuff you list about the 102nd Multi-Gaming Community to be... Not really in poor taste, I guess, but just not very appropriate. If you were applying for a position as a community manager for a game studio, it might feel okay. But here, without context (or projecting it into the context of something like a producer's application), it does end up feeling like fluff.

The student council position should similar be excised unless you're applying for a position where it is directly relevant.

Overall, I think you could definitely tighten this up to be a singe-page resume and I think that would go a long way towards reducing the impressions that people are getting that it's full of padding. Even the simple fact that your resume is more than a page can immediately turn some people off, since they would expect somebody with your amount of relevant professional experience to have only a single-page resume.

I deleted your link because it contains your phone number and other personal identifying information; are you sure you want that visible? If not you should scrub it before re-posting the link.

fair enough,

Thanks,

here is a version without that stuff:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B99AIuoi-xQqdldkQVhKMUR5Rlk/view?usp=sharing

This was my "core" or "master" version. I customize it based on the industry, I usually make a base version per industry I'm applying for, and then customize that base, this way, I know exactly what's in what.

Thanks for your detailed feedback, there is lot here to chew on, but before I respond, the page count.

I used to have a 1 page version, it was the same info, just 9.5 font, and without bullets at all. (so it was all paragraphs)

I removed the core skills section, it used to be core competencies, but I recently got the same feedback your giving me right now on that all being subjective.

The break down was there, since I was trying to apply to all those industries....

Under your education section, I don't really understand the relevance of your "publications," which mostly just seem to be two undergraduate projects you did. Your presentation of them makes it sound like you just talked to people. This does not appear useful or interesting. If you're going to list these I would urge you to find a way to describe them that better illustrates whatever original thought you put into them.

Hmm,

For each of those, after I interviewed the people, I wrote up an in-depth report on the subjects, which were each like 15-30 pages....

It was research...the 1st took place for the space of ~3 months, while the 2nd took place over the space of ~3 years.

I could hyperlink the producer one, which is here on gamedev, but it seems most likely most don't look at hyperlinks in resumes, (not to mention them being printed, scanned, and hard copied for the interview process, not brought up on a computer)

In your volunteer experience section, "rev share C corporation" is not an accomplishment.

No, I know that, I originally didn't have it in there, and it was in professional experience, but then I was told it looks like I had an actual management job for a month, and given it's classification, I decided to move it down to volunteer.

Most indies are LLCs, and all the one's that I know are C corps are way more business like.

But ya, guess I should remove that bullet.

find the stuff you list about the 102nd Multi-Gaming Community to be... Not really in poor taste, I guess, but just not very appropriate. If you were applying for a position as a community manager for a game studio, it might feel okay. But here, without context (or projecting it into the context of something like a producer's application), it does end up feeling like fluff.

Sigh, this is the kicker isn't it....

I've actually gotten several staffing interviews based on this alone.

And this is where I honed much of my recruiting skills.

I guess it isn't directly related to production....

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

Looking quickly over it now, the absolute first thing you need to do is remove "superior communicator". Saying you are 'superior' comes across as very arrogant, and when people look down through the text and see the random capitalisation and inconsistent verb tense choices, they'll know it's not true anyway.

(The second thing you need to do is fix all those errors.)

Apart from that, you just need to ensure you're not applying for non-games stuff with a load of game-related padding or vice versa.

UK point of view so YMMV.

- The objective at the top is a block of text that is difficult to parse. I completely skipped over it. If you must put something here, keep it short, even down to one sentence.

- Core skills, same again. It's a dense block of text that is difficult to parse and I skipped over it. The list is pretty much skills that people will expect you to have for the role and lacks context so I tend to find them a bit pointless. The fact you know English and Chinese is more important then anything listed there.

- The undergrad projects get completely lost in the education section and probably deserve their own section with a bit more information as it sounds pretty interesting.

(I will try to review the rest later).

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Reviewing it, you need to remember the maxim: Show, don't tell.

Here is what I see when I put my resume reading glass on:

The initial "Project Coordinator" of four lines tell what your titles were with grandiose adjectives (Extensive, Intensive, Innovative, Superior, Strong), but doesn't actually say what you did. Let the descriptions of what you did tell those stories. ELIMINATE IT, or drop it to a single line. Two lines if you aren't a skilled enough writer to trim that much.

The "Core Skills" section is worthless. They give no context. "Management | Leadership" communicates absolutely nothing. "Customer Service | Verbal communication" describes every minimum-wage call center worker. "Human Resources | Documentation" looks like you are just trying to make the columns balanced. Those are absolutely useless because they give no context, and I frequently joke with colleagues when interviewing that the size of the "skills" section is inversely proportional to the actual skills. If a person actually has the skills they will be evident in the experience. CUT THE ENTIRE SECTION. You can keep the words if you incorporate them in your experience.

You put education next. Education goes above experience when a person is fresh out of school and their educational background is their strongest accomplishment. By placing it here you are telling interviewers that you are fresh from school and don't know what you are doing. It may not have been your intent but the communication is clear. All I can see of your education is that you interviewed people for two undergrad projects. Did you do anything else, learn anything else that is applicable, other than conducting some interviews? The biggest thing I note is that you graduated in March 2015, about 22 months ago.

FINALLY we get to the true meat of the thing.

One year as a project coordinator. The description seems reasonable for what you did. I'd try to use the space a little better, two words for a full line seems wasteful, but otherwise what you've got is reasonable. It looks you only did work for a single press conference, if that isn't the case it should probably be cleaned up. Almost game producer work, somewhat similar to associate producer work.

I note that the end date was November 2016, three months ago. I know December is a rough month to get hired, so I'd question why you left the job and why you haven't found a new job after three months.

One month contract "locating relevant files". But you did it with "maximum efficiency and discretion". That contract seems suspicious, like you were brought in because they needed to scan and file a ton of old paper files and you were brought in as cheap manual labor. Also the job title of "admin", short for "administrator" doesn't jive with a contract lasting under a month. That isn't enough time to administrate anything. Not game producer work.

Tech Support lasting for two months immediately after you graduated. You were the "main email responder" in tech support, handling "memership cancellations". That tells me people wrote to complain about their terrible service, you wrote back with "I'm sorry, can we keep your business?" and they demanded to be removed. Crappy job, but customer no-service departments exist for a reason. Not game producer work. If you think you did something related to production, leveraging people's skills and enabling them to work better, SHOW it.

Job working as an intern at the university you attended, lasting for your last semester. You wrote some news letters, wrote some marketing briefs, presented the briefs at some campus events. Not quite game producer work, although presenting information is something that happens. If you somehow enabled people to work better, SHOW it.

Sixteen months as an apartment manager. Looks like you mostly took complaints and tried to resolve them. Somewhat related to game producer work.

One year as co-chair for an assisted living center's youth programs. It feels like it should be under volunteer experience, but I suppose as a first job it could have paid accordingly. Potentially game producer related, since the frustrations of dealing with a bunch of disabled youth might actually be similar to dealing with a bunch of game developers and contracting agencies. Again, if you have anything that relates to enabling people to do work, describe the work.

On to volunteer experience. The section is in the right place, just after professional work.

ONE MONTH or less as a producer and project manager. The timeline makes me wonder if they started the project as an ambition after Thanksgiving and gave up when Christmas parties started happening. You worked with two other executives to plan and schedule, you drafted a template, and it was a revenue sharing business -- but it was volunteer, so you never actually completed anything to revenue. CUT IT.

Project coordinator for a mod game. Looks like a volunteer team but finally this actually looks like game producer work, in addition to HR work and design work. But given the timing and given what I can see on the web site, it isn't very extensive. Good for a student, but nowhere near professional level. Keep it, possibly expand to describe more of your producer-like tasks.

The 102nd stuff tells me you love World of Tanks. Good for you. My brother-in-law loves that game too, he's in a pro league with multiple trips to the WGLNA Finals. Being devoted to World of Tanks is meaningless to an employer. It shows you play games rather than make games. It's akin to saying you're a racing fan who cheers loud and therefore should be a mechanic, or you love eating Italian food and should therefore be a chef, or you enjoy hearing classical music and should therefore should become a concert cellist. Cut all 12 lines.

Student Council representative for your student housing building, likely during your freshman year. That's not particularly resume worthy unless you are desperately looking for something to fill it up.

==End resume reading glasses==

My recommendations to make it better are basically covered in my reading. Cut it to a single page. Cut the Core Skills completely. Cut most of the Volunteer projects. Move the education down, either before or after volunteer experience, probably after it. Since your history is across the US, this isn't a CV that needs every single job ever worked so consider cutting the one-month gig at Quantcast. Remove the fact that you are a World of Tanks player.

Recognize you've got very little professional work experience for a producer role, but do have some practical experience that could transfer to the job. Don't pretend you are God's gift to producers, that is how your resume currently looks. Spend some work to better describe your producer-style tasks at each job.

After that, start applying for associate producer and assistant producer jobs, and possibly for full producer jobs if they don't specifically require multiple game credits or 5+ years industry experience.

Interesting,

I'm surprised you knew the 102nd was for World of Tanks.

I know clan stuff comes off as playing, that's just how it is, but if you ask anyone who knew me then, or who's ever actually ran a clan/ guild, let alone built one, they'd tell you it's hard work. Dealing with people problems all the time....

I hardly played the game, I was there to manage people and conflicts....

Sigh...

Is there a way I can spin that to convey that better?

I know I'm working up against a lot of biases and stereotypes...

Should I still put the summary as:

"I have 5+ years of volunteer project management experience and 3 years of volunteer community management experience (which I did concurrently at school) , and a year and a half of in person work experience. 1 year in management for a nonprofit. (which I did after I graduate college)"

or something like that?

I was basically at Animus for such a short time, since I realized I needed that time to find full time work.

Also, despite being an indie, they had paid for Jira, so I was learning that.

But ya, guess it adds more questions that it answers....

I was also keeping it on, to try and buffer the gap since November....when it was under Professional experience.

Most of my gamedev production experience comes from Tiberium secrets.

Good for a student, but nowhere near professional level.

I just happen to be at school during most of it, it was not done under the banner of school work.

What specifically do you mean?

I'm not offended, just curious.

This is what one page looks like:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B99AIuoi-xQqVU9aX0ZqT05XNUk/view?usp=sharing

It becomes 1 pages if bulletined, that why it mainly turns into 2 pages.

This was how I originally had it, (took out core since all said it was not good.

Just for comparison.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

Good for a student, but nowhere near professional level.

I just happen to be at school during most of it, it was not done under the banner of school work.

What specifically do you mean?
I'm not offended, just curious.

I looked over many of the announcements and comments on the site. I looked over the size of the teams and the scope of their work.

As I wrote, it looks like some of what you did aligns to what a game producer does. You did some coordinating, you did some barrier-breaking so people could get more work done. But at the professional level -- where companies really treat it as "experience" rather than hobby work -- involves doing far more of it, all day, every working day. The small public announcements are not professional and many are quite unprofessional, but they aren't bad either.

While I'd consider the work close to what a producer actually does, the scale makes it feel like perhaps 10% of what a professional does. I'd keep it on the page, but realize that an employer will value it far less than you will. It serves as evidence that you are interested in the job, and can probably do the job well, but it doesn't qualify as actually having the professional job.

I know clan stuff comes off as playing, that's just how it is, but if you ask anyone who knew me then, or who's ever actually ran a clan/ guild, let alone built one, they'd tell you it's hard work. Dealing with people problems all the time....

Nobody is really disputing that it's hard work; the point is that... you know what else is hard work? Cleaning out sewer systems. Just because something is difficult does not mean that it is a universally applicable skill or provides universally applicable experience. When you put things on a resume for a job role that don't look like they have relevance to that role, people read that as padding.

"Dealing with people problems" isn't something producers do on a regular basis. Interpersonal conflicts in the workplace are the domain of the HR department (once they reach the point where the employees in question cannot resolve them on their own; playing nice with others is one of those baseline skills we expect of everybody).

Even without the conflicts, "people management" is not always the same for every role. I expect certain things of somebody who is going to manage technical people, for example, or artistic people. Mostly I expect some demonstrated skill in those areas so that I know you can relate appropriately to those people. People management for a group of game players doesn't convey that.

And just in case you aren't really sure what a professional game producer does, here's a list.

The short version is that a producer helps manage the calendar and works with everybody to make sure everybody can finish their work in the right order to complete the job on time. Doing that means talking with everybody, recognize when anybody is starting to run late or at risk of running late, keep everyone informed at the right level for their job (leaders hear about changes and risks for the future, workers generally hear encouragement and praise for hitting dates in the past), then adjusting calendars accordingly. It means talking to various groups when you notice a red flag, and connecting the solutions to the problems with those having the problems.

There is conflict management, but mostly conflict between subject matter and timelines rather than interpersonal conflict. There is certainly a people-management aspect, since producers spend more time working with people who are behind and frustrated so they need to help calm the frustrations without taking it out on others.

A good producer greases the skids, oils the squeaky wheels, serves as lookout on the top mast, removes the barriers after noticing them, and is a first-responder to all problems they didn't successfully clear. The best producers are both nearly invisible since they enable everyone to do their job and stay out of their way, and also highly visible like an officer directing traffic or like a conductor to the orchestra.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement