• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Smith

Deferred Shading - Ray Tracing - Shadows problem

This topic is 519 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all,
First of all, apologies if this is not allowed to be posted in this group I will remove if needed

I am working on basic shadows using ray tracing. I have a deferred system set up and am sampling the world positions at each step of the trace. I am currently getting some results but there is something incorrect when I move the camera around and look at certain angles

below is a video clip of what is happening

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what I might be doing wrong, anything that stands out that I am missing.

I am happy to get back in touch with code but didn't want to plaster the post with code.

Thank you 
Aaron

Advertisement
I guess you get the worldspace position from z buffer and a small error causes self occlusion.
A small offset (eventually depending on distance and normal dot eye) may fix it.

How do you accelerate raytracing?
Look up NVs hybrid ray traced shadows, they use a regular grid from the light's view and bin triangles to grid cells. A ray determinates the cell it goes through and iterates over all its triangles.
Not sure when this can beat a global acceleration structure in worldspace, which can be used for all lights.

Hi

Thanks for replying

Ye I take the world position and add a small offset along the normal to stop that error

Before I look to optimise I need to fix the view so I can move around scene and the shadows work that's what I am struggling with

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!