• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Dust storms and flowing lava

This topic is 435 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So i have a proof of concept going for instanced plants that sway in the breeze.

The only things left to figure out are drawing dust storms and flowing lava.

dust storms:

basically, see Mad Max by Avalanche Studios, published by WB...

BTW, i'm really impressed with this game.   it  has me (Mr hardcore PC himself <g>) playing a 3pv only console title with a straight port of the controls - it doesn't even have true WASD behavior!  And I still play it!  But the game is awesome!  A combo of driving sim, just  like the original version of The Driver, and what i would describe as a JRPG mortal combat fisticuffs game - similar to sleeping dogs except they don't attack one at at a time. The fluidity of the hand to hand attack animations is flawless. And the whole game is gorgeous - probably better than Fallout. And it has vehicle design! And its lore-friendly to both the original concept for Fury Road and the entire franchise in general (production of the game began long before the movie was released - basically when movie production was just getting underway). So if you're a Mad Max fan like me, you'l love this sh*t...

It only shows storms for a second near the end, when it says "and brave the elements...".  But if you've seen the game... i think you'll know what i mean...   what combo of effects are they using ? other than stuff that tumbles by and hits you! <g>.

Flowing lava, not just a glowing pool (although i need that part too), but actually flows down the side of the volcano. perhaps some kind of moving / deforming mesh, or similar...  or a growing particle system of large moving static meshes?

suggestions? algos? links? search terms? sample code?

Edited by Norman Barrows

Advertisement

Flowing lava, not just a glowing pool (although i need that part too), but actually flows down the side of the volcano. perhaps some kind of moving / deforming mesh, or similar...  or a growing particle system of large moving static meshes?

Search for "water animation flow map". It's one way to animate flowing water, and you could presumably use a similar technique for lava (and a lava shader is probably a lot simpler than a water shader).  (

)

The dust storm looks like some kind of particle system with proper lighting. Random link I found: http://www2.imm.dtu.dk/visiondag/VD06/graphical/smoke.pdf

Search for "water animation flow map".

Thanks Phil! 

Shoot! that reminds me, i need better water and sky too. And i know those are non-trivial.  And I can't exactly pony up 10 G's for a middleware library. Or spend 40 man weeks on coding atmospherics. Just have to do what i can.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement