Best animated model file for directx12

Started by
4 comments, last by Syntac_ 7 years, 2 months ago

Hi guys,

I wanted to know if you can help me with this problem. I want to import an animated model in my engine using DirectX12 but I don't which file format should I use. I am reading frank Luna's book and he uses an m3d file format but I cannot find any documentation for that file. So I was wondering if you help me. Which is the most popular ( and supported) file format for the character animation using Direcr3D? Can you also suggest me a tool to import it to my project?

Thank you so much

Advertisement

I've always used vertex tweening for my simple projects so I can't comment on the best model format for skeletal animation.

However, the tool I use for importing (Besides my half-baked obj implementation for mobile projects) is ASSIMP. It handles most formats, and imports just about anything you can think of from most formats.

http://assimp.sourceforge.net/lib_html/index.html

Marcus Hansen

D3D12 or vulkan or D3D11 or GL are mostly irrelevant to file storage choice.

What you need to consider is what features you need from your file. Ease of loading, size, support of additional attributes, concept of surfaces.

Plus is there available tools to work with the format already (for debug or export from major modeler).

It is not even a crime to choose a home made format too (minus time to develop, debug, upgrade)

The best is to use for example the FBX SDK and convert the file to a custom file format to avoid this dependency.

.m3d is a custom text format he has created for his book and should not be used in any real application/game which you're going to ship. You can use ASSimp library to import most of the popular 3d model formats like *.obj

I'd choose COLLADA and use ASSIMP to import it. Or FBX and use FBX SDK to import it.

If this engine is just for testing then I'd just leave the model formats in COLLADA/FBX.

If it's for a game engine then I'd convert these files to a model format suited for your engine for optimum storage usage and loading speed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement