Space ship (fighter) [looking for feedback]

Started by
17 comments, last by the incredible smoker 7 years, 1 month ago
Your current design is very reminiscent of World War 2 fighters, such as the P-38, etc. I even see shades of a Korean War fighter, the F-86 Sabre.

You've got a clearly defined cockpit, so it's obvious that it's a craft of some kind that is manned.

Again, the retro sci-fi lol is evident in this design, I'm not sure this is what you're going for.

As said above, you really need to think about the look/feel you're going for.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Advertisement

I like the design of the second ship better than the first. The first seems comical/cartoony.

Yeah, that first ship really did come out way more cartoony than I had intended. I was trying to look more "sleek" but it just didn't come out that way.
I am more pleased with this second design, and I think I'm going to work on it some more, but I feel like there's something a bit off with the various details that I'm just not sure how to correct.

I guess I'll just experiment.

Read my webcomic: http://maytiacomic.com/
Follow my progress at: https://eightballgaming.com/

Was toying around with some subtle changes to the fuselage, and then made a couple tweaks that I thought worked with the subtle changes. Now I'm looking at three different variations.
7MlevWT.png

Still think I might curve the back edge of A like with C.

Read my webcomic: http://maytiacomic.com/
Follow my progress at: https://eightballgaming.com/

It looks like you keep jumping to the "make final object" stage, trying various things, and restarting without first developing the concept.

(My appeal to authority: I've both drawn a ton of spaceships for commercially-released games, albeit 2D sprites or concept art, and acted as art director over 3D artists.)

If I were you, I'd start from the beginning rather than from the end.

First: Collect reference images. Google space fighters, jet fighters, old time airplanes, birds?, art deco; whatever. Find a bunch of images with stuff you like -- the cockpit from this one, the wing shape from that one, the head of this bird, the decoration on this building, the spoiler on this car, the colouration of this machine.

Second: Make a sketch. Pull the elements from your references and stick them together in a drawing. It doesn't have to be anywhere near perfect, just find a silhouette from various perspectives (flashbacks of drafting class here), how various details are rendered, and paint pattern, etc. Iterate the sketches until you have something that looks good. Now you have a plan.

Third: Model it, etc.

Point is, it doesn't look like you have a target for this asset (edit: that we know of) so it's hard to judge how close you are to meeting it. With no defined aesthetic, outside opinions are going to pull you in all kinds of subjective directions. If, instead, you knew you wanted something that looked like a Spitfire crossed with French scifi comics from the 70's and the image of a raven, it'd be really easy to judge if you were landing near that mark and straightforward to tell you how to tighten up the design.

The second spaceship looks good, less poly`s.

To get it textured you texture the half, mirror copy and weld together again.

Try remember that if you start, so you dont have to slice planes, this one looks good.

I dont know what is better : texture the whole thing, or texture the most important parts only, use the rest colors.

Try to remove all unused polygons, a large flat space needs only 1 poly, no more.

Looks usable, if your done i,m intrested sometime in using your spaceships, i dont pay money, and shoot them to pieces in game.

edit : what software are you using to make this ?, remember : keep low poly as possible, might have 100 spaceships in screen!

bye

S T O P C R I M E !

Visual Pro 2005 C++ DX9 Cubase VST 3.70 Working on : LevelContainer class & LevelEditor

Also try keep the shape close to a box / square for simple collision detection.

Some ships are usable for horizontal scroller, some fit a vertical shooter better,

for vertical shooter is harder to make, especially with wings sticking out, its hard to make it fit perfect in game with rolling movements.

S T O P C R I M E !

Visual Pro 2005 C++ DX9 Cubase VST 3.70 Working on : LevelContainer class & LevelEditor

It looks like you keep jumping to the "make final object" stage, trying various things, and restarting without first developing the concept.

(My appeal to authority: I've both drawn a ton of spaceships for commercially-released games, albeit 2D sprites or concept art, and acted as art director over 3D artists.)

If I were you, I'd start from the beginning rather than from the end.

First: Collect reference images. Google space fighters, jet fighters, old time airplanes, birds?, art deco; whatever. Find a bunch of images with stuff you like -- the cockpit from this one, the wing shape from that one, the head of this bird, the decoration on this building, the spoiler on this car, the colouration of this machine.

Second: Make a sketch. Pull the elements from your references and stick them together in a drawing. It doesn't have to be anywhere near perfect, just find a silhouette from various perspectives (flashbacks of drafting class here), how various details are rendered, and paint pattern, etc. Iterate the sketches until you have something that looks good. Now you have a plan.

Third: Model it, etc.

Point is, it doesn't look like you have a target for this asset (edit: that we know of) so it's hard to judge how close you are to meeting it. With no defined aesthetic, outside opinions are going to pull you in all kinds of subjective directions. If, instead, you knew you wanted something that looked like a Spitfire crossed with French scifi comics from the 70's and the image of a raven, it'd be really easy to judge if you were landing near that mark and straightforward to tell you how to tighten up the design.

Sort of in agreement. I would recommend starting off on paper, since your posts do seem to make it clear that you don't really have a direction to go in. Get some paper, and just roughly sketch out what your final goal is. It'll really help you with the look you are aiming for. Then post it here and what you are modeling at the same time.

Even if you don't sketch something, you should still answer the question: what sort of concept/look are you aiming for? What do you want the final design to look like? Right now you're just asking us if this is cool or not. That greatly varies from person to person.

Remember, this about what you are trying to express.

Pretty much what everyone has said so far is subjective otherwise.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

How about it Caleb ?, no textures yet ?

Make more ships and contact me to make game.

greetings

S T O P C R I M E !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement