Music software (most popular, most useful)

Started by
5 comments, last by trjh2k2 7 years, 1 month ago

There are a lot of answers to the question of what the most popular music software is in general.

But what is your favorite software to use when composing for games?

What do you consider the most useful/vital software?

And does having the right software matter when composing? (should you definitely have middleware like Wwise, FMOD, Fabric handy regardless the DAW you use?)

For example I just use Propellerhead's Reason and nothing else. Maybe I can get away with making game music using only that.

So I want to hear if from all of you.

Thanks!

Advertisement

I've used midi sequencer software like Cakewalk, BOSS DR5 sequencers, Alesis sr-16 drum machines, MTD L2 guitar w/ digitech rp-10, and fender 5 string jazz bass w/ zoom 505, i've even programmed OPL3 chips directly.

What do you consider the most useful/vital software?

Vedit.exe free wav editor that came with sb16. perfect for making loops, pitch shift, adjusting volume, and other simple tweaks. light and fast. nowadays i use audacity for wavs and anvil studio for midi.

And does having the right software matter when composing? (should you definitely have middleware like Wwise, FMOD, Fabric handy regardless the DAW you use?)

what - the audio library the game uses? just make your source sound good in the studio with some nice monitors, then mix down to what the game can handle. You may want to do some tweaking to account for cheap PC speakers - or over-powerful subs - or dealing with both at once. all the audio lib does is playback just like any DAC. its the speakers that matter.

I'm not sure if I can get away with making game music using only that.

depends on what it can do, and what you want to make.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

There are a lot of answers to the question of what the most popular music software is in general.

I don't think it makes any difference. Perhaps if you are working on dynamic music techniques then you'll probably want decent multi-track support and ideally good support for exporting separate sections, but pretty much every DAW offers that these days.

For example I just use Propellerhead's Reason and nothing else. I'm not sure if I can get away with making game music using only that.

I've scored entire games using only Reason, so that shouldn't inhibit you at all. As far as knowing Wwise/Fmod/etc - that can really help your understanding of how the music and audio gets pieced together and behaves in-game.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

I am using Logic and some FL Studio NAtive instruments/ Massive/ NExus /east west sound composer cloud

Most important thing for me is my DAW, which is REAPER in my case. After that, it depends on the project. I use Kontakt as well as Szforzando for lots of instruments, Tokyo Dawn Labs tdr, Ambience, Tyrell u-he, G-tune and G-clip......as you can see I use lots of low cost and free things.

+1 for Reaper. It's the best bang-for-buck DAW I know of, outside of anything free.

I think the most important thing is to be working in a platform you're comfortable with that has all the features you need, everything else is less important. I've gotten used to Reaper, so will probably just stick with it until there's a need for something else. If you're working on a particular project that has another tool as a requirement, there's no reason you can't use the required thing (maybe you're working on a game that uses features of wwise or fmod or something) alongside your usual workflow. Create sounds in your DAW, render them out, and import what you need into the other tool.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement