• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
godmachine33

Has anyone tried .NET Core yet?

This topic is 659 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm curious to know what experienced web devs think of .NET Core. Is it a combination of 4.5 and MVC or is it more like a new MVC version with the concept of Forms being abandoned altogether? Does it introduce any radical new paradigms to web development or is it only incrementally different from MVC5?

Advertisement

Well first lets get all the damn names down:

.NET Core -> Stripped down version of the .NET Framework in theory, in practice the implementation of everything is slightly different. Some stuff (like UI stuff) is outright unavailable in it. It is designed to run web applications in other platforms besides whatever Windows version Microsoft deems worthy of using the latest .NET Framework version at the moment.

Core CLR -> Multi platform VM to run .NET Core stuff.

ASP.NET Core -> Implementation of ASP.NET that runs on .NET Core.

ASP.NET Core MVC -> Implementation of ASP.NET MVC that runs on .NET Core. It was ASP.NET MVC 6 before but it got rebranded in the middle.

EntityFramework Core -> Implementation of EntityFramework that runs on .NET Core. It was EntityFramework 7 before but it also got rebranded in the middle.

.NET Standard -> Ah fuck it, I don't have time for this shit...

The differences are all the same to me, except that .NET Core can run on Linux!

In a cloud environment Linux installations are also leaner and cheaper than on Windows.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!