Why is the forum center justified? How do I change this?

Started by
49 comments, last by LennyLen 7 years, 1 month ago

Facebook: 7-8 replies at once. (Fewer for long posts, images, etc.) Instagram: 10+ LinkedIn: 8 Reddit: 10-15 Slashdot: 6+ StackOverflow: 6+ replies at once, unless they're actual code or longer answers Twitter: 8 Youtube: 11+

To be fair, none of those are forums of our style. The best comparison to most of those is the comments section of an article, blog, or news story. Of course we can rip out the post headers, functional buttons, etc, and make ourselves look just like any of them, but that doesn't serve much purpose other than to cram as much information into a vertical space as possible.

What I've done instead is shrunk as much space out of the post blocks as possible without creating usability issues.

Also worth mentioning that very little was changed with the forum layout so far. Mostly colors and fixing some basic styles. It takes more vertical space because it's not full width, but to really address the vertical spacing issue we have to create a completely new design, which was not on the table for this milestone.

This newer theme also seems to include duplicate lines for paragraph breaks, or perhaps the editor isn't merging consecutive lines any more.

The editor settings were changed so the input reflects the exact output. Enter is new paragraph (new <p></p> pair). Shift+enter is a line break (new <br>). This was not the case before, and it led to messy text. It'll be less of an issue here once all the caches get the updated JS. Meanwhile, I edit people's posts as I see it and have even run DB queries to replace the offending HTML.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Advertisement

I'm really curious why this was done.

https://www.gamedev.net/blog/2223/entry-2262603-another-skin-for-gamedevnet/

Admin for GameDev.net.

Oh the noes, change!

1) The width is ridiculous. I do NOT want to mess with style crap addons to use a decent percentage of my screen area. Currently half my screen goes unused.

2) Probably a side effect of 1, the list of forums takes way too much vertical space, so I have to scroll now where I didn't have to.

3) Speed! I hope you're currently ironing out issues, but it got way slower than it was. I get "Not responding" every few clicks, never had that before. Also the editor takes quite a lot at startup until all my keypresses show.

Web development is a clusterf*ck, but I expected better from you.

This spot is reserved for good points of the new design should I find any.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

1) The width is ridiculous. I do NOT want to mess with style crap addons to use a decent percentage of my screen area. Currently half my screen goes unused.

I hear what the vocalists here are saying, but I don't necessarily agree that every bit of screen space needs to be filled. Show me a site like GameDev.net with similar content, components, etc that is full width. If you can find one then I'm willing to learn their approach.

I've tried playing with different widths and might settle on something for wider screens (~200px more than current), but it will not be 100% width. I've tested it - way too much empty space inside of content with long lines that make reading and information digestion difficult. Using more blocks or elements to break up the content isn't the answer either because you have to keep in mind lower resolutions. As I've said before, high resolutions (> 1920px) are the exception, not the norm.

2) Probably a side effect of 1, the list of forums takes way too much vertical space, so I have to scroll now where I didn't have to.

The forum list was hardly changed, aside from being full width to containerized. I have some simple ideas to improve this. The problem is the basic layout and information presentation, not the width.

3) Speed! I hope you're currently ironing out issues, but it got way slower than it was. I get "Not responding" every few clicks, never had that before. Also the editor takes quite a lot at startup until all my keypresses show.

Performance is looked at every day, and small changes are made nearly every day in the interest of performance. There are several reasons you may see slowdowns, but it's not because of this new theme.

Admin for GameDev.net.

The problem with comparing to 'the rest of the web' is that... well.. this site isn't "the rest of the web" and even if it was the rest of the web is a clusterfuck of piss poor narrow designs because apparently that's the latest circle jerk going on.

On a forum, where people post code, it is just dumb, as you get beyond a few characters and then you have to start scrolling right to look at what people have written.

And by taking out some of the top and bottom whitespace in order to solve the 'too long' factor posts are now starting to feel cramped and bunched up. The 'posted' date runs in to the main text and the end of a post crashes in to the footer.

Also, the user avatar to the left of the 'reply to' box is just dumb. I know who I am, I don't need a picture to remind me (not that I have one either...).

The main forum listing is also a disaster; no per-line delimiters meaning content just runs together like a de-saturated mess.

Oh, and on Edge the layout feels slightly broken and, for Reasons, you are missing a dot to click when going to the most recent posts (the link is still there, just no graphic).

(and if I could point these things out to other websites who fixate on 'fixed width' BS and other things then I'd be shouting at them too because it's insane; the web is not fscking print - stop trying to treat it as such ffs...)

Edit: OK, site layout has changed since I wrote the above... some layout issues persist but in general the sizing is sane now, thanks.

The banner ads also doesn't seem to like the new layout when the browser window shrinks, at least on Windows/Chrome. I have my browser fullscreen on a 1080 wide monitor and the GDC banner is telling me I should register by February 2, instead of the February 25 I see when I move the browser over to the 1920 wide monitor and the RobotSound banner crops out the name of the website completely.

the user avatar to the left of the 'reply to' box is just dumb.

This isn't new.. but I agree and was already planning to remove it or do something different. Just don't see it as a big deal when I wanted to get this layout live at this point in time. Enough things to do besides worry about an avatar on a reply box.

The main forum listing is also a disaster; no per-line delimiters meaning content just runs together like a de-saturated mess.

Not clear what you're referring to. Besides width, nothing changed on the main forum listing. Literally everything is the same there.

Edge the layout feels slightly broken

Edge has not been friendly with FontAwesome icons since switching over to them a few months ago (so also not a new thing).

It's not the web's fault for going to fixed width centered containers for content. It's psychology. The research I've done into design and usability convinced me that fixed width containers are a better style for a site like gamedev.net where people are trying to consume and retain information. This was not an easy mindset change as I've always preferred 100% width. Research suggests that properly contained content is easier to read, easier to digest, and ultimately more efficient to process. The trick is ensuring proper whitespace balancing to structure the content. This is why the web has gone that way, although I think more mobile and varied displays contribute to that as well.

I've increased the container width for a certain size screen. Parts of the site look terrible and disrupt content flow at this width, but I suspect anyone who cares more about width won't care about content flow.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Sorry for sounding cranky before, it's got quite a bit better already. I now have a lot more info on screen at once. Thanks for that!

It still feels quite a bit slower than before though; that's something you might look into.

Also, I may be old fashioned, but do I have to be tracked by Tw* and FB* now or can that be disabled?

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

It's not the web's fault for going to fixed width centered containers for content. It's psychology. The research I've done into design and usability convinced me that fixed width containers are a better style for a site like gamedev.net where people are trying to consume and retain information. This was not an easy mindset change as I've always preferred 100% width. Research suggests that properly contained content is easier to read, easier to digest, and ultimately more efficient to process. The trick is ensuring proper whitespace balancing to structure the content. This is why the web has gone that way, although I think more mobile and varied displays contribute to that as well.

I've increased the container width for a certain size screen. Parts of the site look terrible and disrupt content flow at this width, but I suspect anyone who cares more about width won't care about content flow.

I think this is the best compromise. It's true that most people don't want to read text with 30-word-wide lines, and it's harder to follow. And it's no longer true that people aren't willing to scroll. But, it's also true that developers are more likely to be reading on a wide screen monitor and less likely to be reading on mobile. It's also quite likely that they're also better than most at coping with relatively dense text.

Given my experience of other sites, I would say that I will adapt to the change no matter what happens, and if the width adapts to how large I happen to have my browser at the time, even better.

As I've said before, high resolutions (> 1920px) are the exception, not the norm.

I'm not sure that's actually true for the members of this forum - do you collect resolution data from users' browsers?

If you look at the average out there, sure, bargain basement Chromebooks and the like are going to pull the average down. But my experience is that game developers tend to have above-average hardware.

For example, my 5 year-old MacBook has a 2880x1800 display, and the smallest display Apple currently manufactures is 2304x1440. Any decent PC laptop has the same resolution or higher (there are a bunch of PCs with optional 4k displays).

Edit: The new theme is definitely doubling my paragraph breaks. What shows as a single blank line in the editor is displayed as two once I hit submit.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement