Sign in to follow this  
mahri726

Getting a permission then the owner sells his rights ? Could I get affected ?

mahri726    163

Hi. I wanted to make a fan game, and I requested permission via email to use a character. The copyright owner allowed me to use his character, as long as my game is not commercial. Now, I have seen that he is considering selling his rights to a publisher or a bigger studio. If he sells his rights and I release my game, could it be taken down by the publisher, altough I got permission from the previous copyright owner ?

Kylotan    9852

The short answer is that you can always be threatened with court action, and that can end up expensive, even if they have little chance of winning the case. So if that worries you, give up now.

Assuming that's not an issue, the situation you're in is awkward. Technically he has given you a licence for a certain kind of usage, and yet he will probably be selling an exclusive licence to the publisher or studio. That essentially makes him the one in the wrong as he's selling something that he no longer really has. If you can prove this, you might be able to defend your position and continue with your game. Practically, however, you might just find yourself on the end of threats from the company's legal department, who might claim that your permission via email is fake, or they may even be able to claim that the contract is invalid since there was no consideration from your side. ("Consideration" here is a legal term implying payment or some other concession made by you to secure the deal.)

Fan games are a troublesome field to deal with. The only way to be safe is to steer clear.

Tom Sloper    16040

The copyright owner allowed me to use his character, as long as my game is not commercial. Now, I have seen that he is considering selling his rights to a publisher or a bigger studio. If he sells his rights and I release my game, could it be taken down by the publisher, altough I got permission from the previous copyright owner ?

Since you have a written "contract," you are okay until and unless the
new owner terminates your contract. I'm not a lawyer, so don't rely on
what I say.

mahri726    163

I have seen that the owner said that selling his rights to a company is an option among others, altough he doesn't find it very appealing. It seems extremely unlikely for this to happen, based on the feedback that fans gave him. In this case, I guess it is safe to work on the fan game. 

monalaw    1367

Generally when there's an asset sale all licenses and contracts made by the original owner are transferred to the new owner, so yes, the purchaser of the IP could step in and revoke your license unless your license stipulates otherwise. If you're concerned you can request a formal gratis license that would require future assignees to honor and maintain your license, but unless you intend on paying something for it the original IP holder has no motive to comply. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By ioannis
      Hello everyone,
      I'm new to this so I have some questions for the more legal savvy than me here
      I'm currently writing a story for an adventure game. In my mind this story takes place in a existing-real world island. This includes stores, people and locations in that place. I wouldn't want to use the actual names of businesses in that place nor the actual names of people. But as far as locations are concerned I'll definitely want to use the actual naming. Is this possible? Could my business get in trouble by this? Could I get in trouble for similarities? Same business in same place , different name? (like a parody). Are there are any papers I can have people sign that will avoid me getting sued over this? (this is a small place, people might actually agree to be part of the game)
      I hope I make sense!
      Thank you for your time.
    • By IllegalSeagulls
      Hello, this is my first post, and originally I wasn't going to even join this community, but I thought it would be a good idea. Especially because the people at Reddit ignored my post completely.
      Being a Minor (I am about to be a sophomore in high school), I have about three years of coding experience. I also have been composing music, and I have many friends who do many other things that happen to coincide with game development (I will get to this next).
      Currently, me and two friends are wanting to start a development company. I have had a good amount of experience in Unity, and I am well versed with JavaScript, as well as learning C#. I have a friend who does a lot of art and pixel art, who also is well versed in JavaScript (no experience in anything other than Pocessing.js) and a friend who has the same if not more experience with JavaScript, as well as advanced GameMaker skills.
      In terms of technology, coding levels, music, art design, and pretty much everything else that actually creates the full game experience, we are set and ready to go. The problem is legal issues.
      My parents are not too fond of me starting a company now, because they think school is more important (I go to a special program at my school, which is similar to STEM mixed with avid, but includes all classes, which I could easily do this for projects), and legally, none of us are old enough to actually create a company (I have researched into LLC's, DUNS Numbers, Apple Developer, and a lot of the other publishing/marketing stuff we'd need for a company and actually publishing the apps). I know, if we continue, we will probably need legal advice from an actual attourny (especially because laws vary by state so a lot of information might not be correct on the internet), but I was wondering if any of you either have experience starting a company/software development company as a minor, or if any of you know anything that might help us on our endeavor legally so we can have our own business. We already have options of people who are above 18 who will help us with this and will more than likely help us with being the legal organizer of the company, but other than that, we are a little blind.
      If you have any information that would be helpful, that would help us so much!
      Illegal Seagulls LLC (Hopefully at least!)
    • By ToadstoolTyrant
      I just had a small question regarding suffixes for the name of a dev team (inc., co., LLC, etc).
      What exactly are the rules for adding those to the name of dev team? Are there certain requirements that need to be fulfilled to legally be able to use a certain suffix? Would a person be able to name their studio X Ltd. or Y Inc. solely for aesthetic reasons or would the suffix need to be warranted in order to use it legally?
      Sorry for the amateurish question and I apologize if I haven't followed some of the guidelines. The FAQ linked in the, "Before You Post," thread no longer exists, so I'm kinda' going in blind.
      Thanks in advance!
    • By Johnny Doe
      Can somebody explain why some fan-made games (Pokemon, Yugioh,Dragon Ball) get taken down while others don't? I just don't get the logic of it? Does favoritism play a role in the decision of ip owner taking legal action? Is there a bar fan-made games must not pass? I would like to know because I am contemplating on making a fan-made card game based on an anime. I've already read the legal portion of sloperama document and am aware of the legal actions that can be taken and why i original is the best way. I just want to know why some popular fan-made games make it and other don't? I've have seen many Pokemon fan-made games using copyrighted material and never get shutdown. And they have been up for 5-10 years. 
    • By David Burford
      Hi all, hope this is okay to post here.
      There seems to be a myriad of open source licenses these days and then multiple versions of each one so it begins to become confusing as to which you should use and when.
      My scenario is I have been working for some time on a rogueish engine that I've always intended to open source when the base engine is finished and release to whomever is interested in it. People would be welcome to use it to make their own (non-commercial) games out of it as per the norm. The engine is very modable before you even get to the source so its flexible for multiple types of project.
      To that end, in the back of my head I'm thinking one day I could REALLY polish it up and make something commercial with it as the base engine. But do I lose my right to do that if I've given away the source as "open" for other peoples non-commercial ventures? Would I be obliged to share my changes, if any, to the base engine? It seems obvious that if someone else submitted code to the open source public repository that i COULDNT use that without permission and thats fine.
      But what if someone contact me and said hey I really like the work, could I license this to do something commercial? I'm guessing I could license *my* version of the source as long as it had no one elses contributions included? This project is not in the wild yet for what its worth, I'm just trying to get a more solid understanding of what actually happens to your rights as author after you've declared "open source". 

Thanks for your time! :) 
  • Popular Now