management game engine

Started by
5 comments, last by Alberth 7 years, 1 month ago

how would you program a studio management engine?

Advertisement

Could you be more specific?

how would you program a studio management engine?

Very well. I would program it very well.

I'm planning on using vb2015 for a management game simular to hollywood mogual or total extreme wrestling would want the engine to simulate charicter development and actors/companies in the game world

Their cross post has a slightly better worded question, but this one has replies already.

Here's the slightly-better post:

In Visual Basic 2015:

Just wondering if anyone can give me tips for creating a engine which will simsulate other companies hireing and firing actors and making films lso developing actors im planning on making a movie/television studio management game like total extreme wrestling

So a game like this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Movies

As a follow-up, someone gives way too much mystique to the word "engine".

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Stop thinking in one-liners, and start working on actual content and game mechanics.

If you never programmed a game before, I would suggest you start by getting your feet wet with a few much simpler games (tetris, space invaders, that kind of games).
Starting with your dream game may look like a good idea, but you'll have to solve too many things at the same time then, and you'll drown or get nowhere. First learning about programming a simple game gives you a lot of experience in how these things generally work. When working on your dream game, you can just use that knowledge, instead of having to invent that at the same time.

Otherwise, starting small and extend iteratively tends to work better than the big bang approach of throwing it all together and hope it will work.

Note that "engine" here generally means a generic piece of software/framework that allows you to build a large number of different games. While each game has some sort of engine, there is no point in developing that as a separate entity for you, since game and engine are the same thing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement