• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
BuraCULa

Virtual address space usage and D3D11 resources

This topic is 578 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello.

I work on a renderer framework. When I create texture with CreateTexture2D, D3D11 device immediatly allocates some memory from virtual space of the process despite there is no cpu access flags etc. or staging usage specified.

I've read Windows manage paging of gpu resources so that memory of gpu resources are moved to system memory to create empty space for recently used resources. My process consumes 2 gb of memory for render targets and total gpu memory usage is about 3 gb. Gpu has 8 gb physical memory but 1 gb of system memory(Committed virtual memory) of process is still used by D3D11 resources. I checked this with PerfView tool which tracks all virtual memory allocations.

I checked committed address spaces of other D3D11 games but it seems their gpu resources does not consume any system memory.

There isn't much information about this behaviour on internet. I would greatly appreciate if anyone enlighten me.

Thanks.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!