Advise for new devs

Started by
7 comments, last by Dakila 7 years, 1 month ago

Hi,

first i have started to learn C++

then started game developing with 2D SFML library learned some skills and how things works , after some struggling with SFML decided to go through Unity for 3D game making.

i have some ideas in my head and i have told my self at least implement small part of it in unity 3D but even for small part is very time consuming and from the day that i have started unity i was struggling with meshes, textures,rigging ( i don't even start work with audio and lighting lol) and graphic stuffs i was planing to become at least programmer but i put many days to make basic meshes and textures, and cant get desired result and implement my ideas and i'm tired little bit.

last night i was thinking that my ideas are bigger than me and its not good for single developer, that might be the problem. (i don't have any idea for small projects right now ), but how to work when you have little skills on some areas and have good and successful future when you are alone. i mean not all of the game developers do programming, modeling, texturing, rigging , animating ,sounds , lighting etc.... right? ( also its impossible for me to buy assets).

i have little time to learn and do all stuffs, and i'm worry about my future , because even if master some areas i can't make living with game developing because there very little companies that i could work for them here. so i have to work alone.

now i feel i'm not on the right path and i need some advise what do you think i must do?

Thanks.

Advertisement
after some struggling with SFML decided to go through Unity for 3D game making.

if you're struggling with 2d, going 3d was probably premature.

but even for small part is very time consuming and from the day that i have started unity i was struggling with meshes, textures,rigging ( i don't even start work with audio and lighting lol) and graphic stuffs

yes, there are number of parts required, even using unity - meshes, textures. animations, etc. If you don't have turn-key assets ready to go, creating them can take a lot time. That's why there are usually more artists than coders on a dev team.

i was planing to become at least programmer but i put many days to make basic meshes and textures, and cant get desired result and implement my ideas and i'm tired little bit.

bank on a least a year to learn coding, and a year to learn modeling before you've learned enough that you can get decent results in a decent amount of time. even better results = additional time learning more code and art skills. Its normal to get discouraged trying to learn it all at once. See if you can find some public domain assets to use as placeholder graphics, so you can get on with learning unity. you can always improve graphics assets later.

last night i was thinking that my ideas are bigger than me and its not good for single developer, that might be the problem.

start a new topic in game design, describing the game type, and the "number of's" in the game - IE how many kinds of monsters, weapons,classes, whatever. IE the scope. and ask "how long for one dev once you had the skills and tools?". then just add the time required for you to learn the skills, if the result is too much time, then the game is too big.

how to work when you have little skills on some areas and have good and successful future when you are alone.

You keep developing those skllls - you never stop. Continual sharpening of the saw. Making games that sell well is also rather important.

i mean not all of the game developers do programming, modeling, texturing, rigging , animating ,sounds , lighting etc.... right?

I would be about the last one left. Last of the Lone Wolves. I've been coding games since 1978, and PCs since 1981. i started as a designer, president of the wargame club in high school. then i learned coding. then 2d graphics programming, then 2d artwork (paint programs), then audio programming, then 3d graphics, then modeling and animation (3dsMAX, truespace, blender). Music is a hobby, so i write all my own music and usually make my own foley effects. I've done about 3 dozen major versions of about half a dozen games over the years. Two of those games (SIMTrek/SIMSpace and Caveman) did / do quite well. Since i'm a lone developer, i try to make use of public domain assets when possible to speed development. except for code - band-aiding together a bunch of 3rd party libs of questionable stability is not my idea of good engineering. I only use 3rd party code that i understand and know is correct. Usually i end up having to use parts from two examples to get one correct example. The only time i used a 3rd party lib other than directx was some commercial telecom lib for direct dial-up peer to peer multiplayer in the early / mid 1990's.

i have little time to learn and do all stuffs

few do. most pick a sector they prefer and stick with that - IE coding of some sort, or creation of graphics assets of some sort (level maps, models, meshes, textures, animations, etc), or music/foley art.

even if master some areas i can't make living with game developing because there very little companies that i could work for them here. so i have to work alone.

or move to where the jobs are - that's what most people do in life. you live where the jobs are.

what do you think i must do?

1. post that question about the scope of your planned game and the time required.

2. get a day job to support yourself while you learn to make and actually make games.

3. check into schools to help you learn skills and get a "degree" that's worth something at a real game shop - if there even is such a thing.

4. check into moving where the jobs are - once you have the skills to land the jobs.

5. if relocation to join a real game studio is not an option, you'll have to fly solo at least at first. hone your skills. select a title you know you can do better than anything else like it out there. "yet another whatever game" doesn't cut it. then work smart, not hard. PD assets and asset reuse vs months of modeling, for example.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

Thank you so much for your advise it was very useful. :)

now i have better sight for game developing future.

if anyone have any thoughts i would be glad to read it.

Thanks.

You see, I come from the Balkan Peninsula and same as you, I thought the same:

I can't build a local team I can trust, and I felt overclocked trying to manage all parts of the dev process.

Well I was wrong.

It's easy to find trustful local designers, or musicians, or whatever that can be part of your team.

If you want to connect with people, enroll on a local development course or visit some other tech events where you'll meet people.

Yea, it's necessary to know all parts of the whole, but it'd be nice for you if you focus on what you love the most.

Also, don't be afraid to use freelancers, if you have the budgets. But even fiverr.com is awesome if you find the right gig:

Once I spend 3 days to find my compile time exception, related with Unity plugins.

Then I payed 5 dollars on fiverr, the guy solved it in 5 minutes, and explained to me what was the problem. I didn't fully get it in those 5 minutes, but I knew what to google to learn more.

For your info, I still work alone, only sometimes I share projects with a friend who is a animator. I personally am focused on programming, and marketing (mostly SEO).

But that's not because I couldn't find people, it's how I want it for now because contrary from you, all of my current projects are small :)

If you want to connect with people, go on a local development course or some other tech events where you'll meet people.

ou see, I come from the Balkan Peninsula and same as you

actually cool for you for where you are :lol: you are at least on europe im on iran,
the reason that i can't find anybody not because i can't trust because i can't really find one , even one.

that's because video games industry does not take very serious as it should be. of course there some teams here but they are small they does't support very much and they will work with what they have(most of them are friends).

if you have the budgets. But even fiverr.com is awesome

and since im on iran i can't have any foreign transaction because most of payment methods like paypal , mastercard etc..... does not avaliable here (only thing i can buy is steamgift wallet lol )

there might some ways to use these services but for now i can't.

If you want to connect with people, go on a local development course or some other tech events where you'll meet people

also :lol: there is no events here or at least in my city and no school course about game dev

only capital has this course but its extremely expensive for me to change my city and study there( i'm studying software engineering in university right now)

I only have these for my progress:

My PC

My brain

the only help i can get are from these forums and wonderful people to guide me.

maybe when i have completed some projects and achieved better skills, i might travel to other country.

Thank you for your help ^_^

and since im on iran i can't have any foreign transaction because most of payment methods like paypal , mastercard etc..... does not avaliable here (only thing i can buy is steamgift wallet lol ) there might some ways to use these services but for now i can't.

Trust me, here in Macedonia we don't have Paypal or most online services either.

We have only Visa Electron as a online paying method, and there is often a workaround.

Also you can take a look at Payoneer, as I use it as a Payment method for many services, and it's free to order a debit card to arrive to you

also there is no events here or at least in my city and no school course about game dev only capital has this course but its extremely expensive for me to change my city and study there( i'm studying software engineering in university right now)

I am talking like small private courses where you pay and study with few people.

But ok I understand fully as I have also trouble finding some here.

If you have a cool idea you believe in so much, maybe trying a publisher house is a good option.

If it's really cool, and you have a nice demo, you may get full funding and support and stuff. :)

Good luck!

I strongly advise to get a job in the industry, you will learn a lot faster as part of an experienced team than going solo.

Also you can take a look at Payoneer, as I use it as a Payment method for many services, and it's free to order a debit card to arrive to you

for the first time i entered website i said omg finally and pressed sign up button and...........

Bang "Your client does not have permission to get URL " :(

Thanks for your help anyway.

Damn man I feel you. Sucks totally.

Payoneer was my salvation too.

I hope you find yours.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement