• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
0xcdcdcdcd

Dynamic texturing

This topic is 569 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey!
I have newbie question. Can't find any answer anywhere.
Some time ago we had LOD system based on multiple meshes preloaded, now we have dynamic tesselation, which solve lot of realtime rendering issues.
Whether there is the same for texturing? We preloading pack of different textures in GPU memory and stretch them on geometry. Also now there is a trend for 4k textures for games, when gpu have 6 gb memory. 
Question is:
Can we do dynamic texturing based on range? 
What I mean is, when we stay close to tree and far of home - tree have 4k texture and home have 128 (for example) because we can't see that home distinctly.  When we run to home from tree, tree's 4k texture compressing and home's texture decompressing and become 1k, 2k, 4k (for example). So we can play with textures dynamically in realtime, compressing and decompressing on compute pipeline. I think this was already realized, but  I can't find any reference on this.
Thanks!
P.S. Sorry for English.

Advertisement

What you describe is simply loading only part of texture content, on demand, without actually having all image data in memory: a technique made popular years ago by "megatextures" to make available a certain range of UV coordinates of a huge texture (a region of a large terrain), which can work equally well to make available a certain range of LOD levels of a small texture.

Since mipmapping increases the space needed by small textures only by a small multiple, and almost all levels are usually needed simultaneously, people usually don't bother.

Running out of texture memory can be addressed much more effectively with smarter models and shaders that look good with high-resolution but small textures: for example, instead of many square meters of wall texture, a texture for one brick that is randomly varied within a fragment shader with a few layers of procedural noise.

Edited by LorenzoGatti

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!