• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Sitatop

Searching programmer for village-builder

This topic is 585 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am a quite experienced pixel artist looking to team up with a programmer to create a unique and well-thought out village-builder. 

Many previous city- and village-builders have put a lot of focus on expanding your settlement and generally gone for "more is better". Expanding is pretty much a no-brainer. We, however, would go for a design that promoted the use of strategic placing and planning - as the population of your village will generally be very small. Each and every single individual is detrimental to success, which means performing (what generally seems like) a basic task like constructing a building needs the perfect timing, as you also want your people to be harvesting resources in all kinds of manners in order to survive.

Here are some quick concepts I drew. Mostly to show off the kind of style I personally would wish to go for. These structures however are a lot simpler designed  than the final product would be.

fhSeTfb.png

aBxwjlg.png

http://imgur.com/a/Jye1M

Advertisement

Hello!  I am Searous.  I'm a "programmer in training", meaning I'm trying to get some more experience before I start working on my own projects.  I like your concept, and you've really got some talent.  

I'm good enough that I could tackle your game concept, though I will need to learn a lot in order to make it happen.  I know how to structure the game, so this shouldn't be detrimental to the development of the game.  I would be best at the core mechanics, such as win/lose conditions, resource gather/management, and anything else that isn't AI or graphics.  I can do HUD though.

My preferred development environment is Java or GameMaker.

Here is a WIP game I've been working on alone, as a way to judge my capabilities:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2gkh8j4zkr323t/AG-Test.exe?dl=0

Thanks for the replies! I will be waiting a couple of days to see if more people are interested. Then I will pick one :)

The game sounds and looks really nice! But from a programmer's perspective I'd wonder
- what platform are you targeting (pc? tablet? browser?)
- will it be 2d like your scribble? or what exactly is the technical demand for visualization?
- how much work will it be? (do you plan this to be a 1 Month project? 6 Months? open end?)
- what criteria is key for choosing the right programmer? (you said you will wait for more to pick one)
- do you plan to sell it? is open source ok with you?
etc.

Hey, ProfL!

1. I was mainly thinking of delivering it to PC (Steam), as I am not a frequent user of tablet games and consoles.
  2. It will most likely be isometric-inspired pixel art. Therefore it shouldn't be a large technical demand, as most of it is put on the artist.
  3. The amount of work depends on the opinion of the programmer as well. I am pretty open when it comes to the size of the project, but I would prefer if we could find a middle-ground, so the game actually ends up being released.
  4. When it comes to criteria, I am looking for a person confident and interested in the project as well as programming. The person should be able to produce a polished game in the end.
  5. I would very much prefer to sell it.
Edited by Sitatop

I would absolutely love to join! I am very passionate of RPG's and rogue, as they have entertained me my whole childhood. I have :

-More than 700 hours of experience in Game Maker Studio(I have mastered the program and the language)

-The experience to make a simple game in 8 hours

-Experience with the phaser.io HTML5 library, though I do need more time to get the job done with it.

Please contact me  :D

at : rafphd@yahoo.ca

Hello coder skilled in c/c++, java, python & web technologies like HTML5 & js, Your Projects seems intereting & i would like to help you out,,, Can you give more info?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!