• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Smart Back-End Choice

This topic is 414 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was reading up on PHP.  I am wondering about the scalability of it.  It's pretty easy that's for sure.  Can the following back-end programming languages support plenty of users for say a game played by many (maybe where they interact) or an enormous E-commerce site:

PHP

C++

What is suggested that is easy to learn / effective for larger sites, the backend, in the future?  

I already know some C++ and I am also wondering please what is the most marketable for clients (people) 

programming.

Thank you,

Josheir
Edited by Josheir

Advertisement

Yes, both PHP and C++ can scale to large user bases. This is not really a property of the language and more a property of the code you write in that language and the hardware you execute it on.

What is "most marketable" to people is what those people want. There's no single answer to that question. C++ is very rarely used in the web development world. PHP is used more, but with the rise of all the JavaScript based stuff is probably declining in popularity for any new projects.

Edited by Josh Petrie

but with the rise of all the JavaScript based stuff

I dislike JavaScript as a language for many reasons, but I understand it has so many uses.

The first time I read the words "Enterprise JavaScript" my heart faltered as those are words that shouldn't be put next to each other. Rather frighteningly it has become somewhat commonplace.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement