DEVELOP VIDEOGAMES?

Started by
11 comments, last by ItamarReiner 7 years, 1 month ago

hello

i´m 35 years old. I have an stable job and i´m paying a home.

My real passion is drawing and play videogames since i was a child. My question is if....is it a real opcion to study a Art for Videogames Master?...520 hours. With my age it would be very difficult to find a job as concept artist...animator 2d or 3d, etc.?

I have no formation in 3D or developing games, only drawing.

I will wait your answers!

Thanks a lot in advance and...sorry for my english!

Advertisement

Moving to the careers section of the site, it is not a game design question.

You are not too old. Please read the forum FAQs, as many people ask the question and there are several answers to it.

Be aware that PLAYING games and MAKING games are different, just like ENJOYING the results of a field are different from CREATING the item. Eating delicious food is different from cooking delicious food. Listening to beautiful music is different from playing beautiful music. Watching an exciting movie is different from being an actor in an exciting movie.

Playing games and making games are different, and just because you enjoy playing games does not necessarily mean you will enjoy making games. It is a craft requiring skill and talent, like all skills. But even so, some people transition careers and bring their unique experiences to the industry, it happens often enough.

Also, you should be aware that "game designer" is usually a senior level role. The person has a lot of say over a large project, usually directing a multi-million-dollar effort, so it is not entrusted to beginners. There are various lower-level jobs like level designers, character designers, and so on, all within the field.

It takes 3-4 years to learn 3D modeling, as a person who draws you should be able to understand why. However this is a guide for young kids just getting into 3D and art.

If you are a very skilled artist then a lot of your artistic eye and understanding of objects will transfer to 3D. With out knowing your exact skill- it will help if you showed us a drawing- I think that you could learn 3D in a year.

is it a real opcion to study a Art for Videogames Master?...520 hours.

That's what, 22 days- 60 days, for learning all there is to 3D modeling? I don't think it's possible in such a short time.

Most 3D schools give a 3 year school syllabus, although you could make arrangements.

I want to point out that the online classes are often software specific classes, so a month course to learn 3DS Max or Maya, however they don't really teach the principles of general 3D modeling; only how to work with that software.

Knowing how to use 3D software and knowing how to make 3D models, are as different as knowing, how to use a pencil and paper, is to knowing how to draw.

I would recommend giving it a try, however don't do any thing drastic.

If you need 3D modeling advice you can always send me a message.

It takes 3-4 years to learn 3D modeling, as a person who draws you should be able to understand why. However this is a guide for young kids just getting into 3D and art.

If you are a very skilled artist then a lot of your artistic eye and understanding of objects will transfer to 3D. With out knowing your exact skill- it will help if you showed us a drawing- I think that you could learn 3D in a year.

is it a real opcion to study a Art for Videogames Master?...520 hours.

That's what, 22 days- 60 days, for learning all there is to 3D modeling? I don't think it's possible in such a short time.

Most 3D schools give a 3 year school syllabus, although you could make arrangements.

I want to point out that the online classes are often software specific classes, so a month course to learn 3DS Max or Maya, however they don't really teach the principles of general 3D modeling; only how to work with that software.

Knowing how to use 3D software and knowing how to make 3D models, are as different as knowing, how to use a pencil and paper, is to knowing how to draw.

I would recommend giving it a try, however don't do any thing drastic.

If you need 3D modeling advice you can always send me a message.

Thanks for your message.

I want to explain that this academy is for ART for Videogames..(concept art, design, etc). They learn a little of modeling, 3d, 2d, etc.

I would learn by myself looking for tutorials, etc...but...i´m a little bit lost.

Can you help me?

There are very very few concept artists in the game industry, and it isn't an entry level position.

is it a real opcion to study a Art for Videogames Master?

ioroboros, what is your question?
A. Should I do it?
B. Can I? Does such a program exist?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I want to explain that this academy is for ART for Videogames..(concept art, design, etc). They learn a little of modeling, 3d, 2d, etc.
So, teaches a bit of a everything. These courses are for personal experience and count little to nothing on a portfolio. If you have the money, then do take it, there is a lot of things you don't know yet that they can teach.

I would learn by myself looking for tutorials, etc...but...i´m a little bit lost.

Yes, easy don't use a tutorial unless you attempted it on your own first; that is advice for any thing in live.

I am a 3D artist so I can teach you 3D.

[spoiler]

First thing, download your software; I recommend Blender. Then make a very simple object, a pen, a glass any object you can see and hold.

Now, I know what you are thinking: "How do I even start making a pen or what ever?"

That is the whole point, if you start by just pressing buttons and doing random things, then you will know what to look for when watching a beginner tutorial. You will look to see what is pressed to make objects appear, what is pressed so that you can change a object and so forth.

Once you are able to make a simple object, without a tutorial, you can upload it here or message me and I will advice you on the next step.

I teach new 3D modelers a lot in my work, I am really willing to help, if we do it this way you can learn how to make models without needing to watch a tutorial every time.

[/spoiler]

is it a real opcion to study a Art for Videogames Master?

ioroboros, what is your question?
A. Should I do it?
B. Can I? Does such a program exist?

Should i go? The formation takes 10 month....i have no experience. With this formation and a lot of work by myself....it´s possible get a job in his world?

So, teaches a bit of a everything. These courses are for personal experience and count little to nothing on a portfolio. If you have the money, then do take it, there is a lot of things you don't know yet that they can teach.

Yes, easy don't use a tutorial unless you attempted it on your own first; that is advice for any thing in live.

I am a 3D artist so I can teach you 3D.

[spoiler]

First thing, download your software; I recommend Blender. Then make a very simple object, a pen, a glass any object you can see and hold.

Now, I know what you are thinking: "How do I even start making a pen or what ever?"

That is the whole point, if you start by just pressing buttons and doing random things, then you will know what to look for when watching a beginner tutorial. You will look to see what is pressed to make objects appear, what is pressed so that you can change a object and so forth.

Once you are able to make a simple object, without a tutorial, you can upload it here or message me and I will advice you on the next step.

I teach new 3D modelers a lot in my work, I am really willing to help, if we do it this way you can learn how to make models without needing to watch a tutorial every time.

[/spoiler]

Well, thanks a lot!! very useful your answer. I´m going to download Blender and i will start. When i make a object i will upload here.

Thanks a lot!

Should i go?

You have to make a decision. First, consider the goal you wish to accom-
plish. If the goal is to get a job (which it seems to be, based on your
second question), then consider whether the degree will help you get the
job. The degree is really two things: (a) the learning (what you will
gain in knowledge), and (b) a degree you can put on your resume. At your
age, you don't need a degree on your resume. What you need is the new
knowledge. There are other ways you can gain that knowledge.

With this formation and a lot of work by myself....it´s possible
get a job in his world?

Anything is possible (except time travel to the past, and the Star Trek
holodeck), so the question doesn't get you a useful answer.
I think you need to ask a different question. And you need to do some
soul-searching about your motives and passions and the needs of your
family - and you can't do good soul-searching by asking strangers on the
Internet.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement