• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Failed creating a sprite

This topic is 414 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

I tried to create a sprite in Paint.net.It creates the texture, but when I put it on an object the color of it is like white and black or something like that.Does anyone have a good tutorial for creating a sprite texture ?
Thank you!

Advertisement

No idea what goes wrong, lots of steps you can mess up there.

I don't think making a sprite texture is special in any way, it's just an image that you load. Quite likely however, the loader library, or OpenGL driver or so, has special requirements wrt format or file extension, so that may mess up your picture. I once had an image that failed to load; I loaded and saved it with a different image editor, and then it did work.

Since eventually, you want to display a texture, debugging from the end backward to paint seems the best way.

1. Get an arbitrary sprite and display that. That should work, or your texture display setup is broken.

(ie divide and conquer the problem into 2 smaller parts)

2. Edit that arbitrary sprite, save it, and display it again. The changes should be visible :p

(from a working situation, does it stay working?)

3. Pay particular attention to how you saved the previous sprite. What format did it use (eg RGB or RGBA or something else), and what file extension (jpeg, png, or something else).

Make a sprite of the same size, and save it in the same way as the previous sprite that worked.

If paint is consistent, this should work too.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement