• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sershe

Unity What is a good simple 3D graphics *library* for C#?

This topic is 503 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a simple C# project in Unity that renders a mesh to produce a hexagonal map for a game (well and implements the game, but that doesn't require Unity). I would like to migrate it out of Unity; I am sick and tired of the latter's bugs, limitations (.NET 2.0, crappy UI editor, extremely buggy debugging tools), so I am looking to use a *library* that I can use in some sort of a viewport in e.g. a regular WPF app, not an all-encompassing way of doing things.

All I need is an ability to render and texture triangles with uv coordinates (MeshRenderer in unity), and an orthographic camera. I don't need any GUI for that either, I anyway generate everything programmatically. Are there any good pre-made ones that are higher level than using a DirectX wrapper directly?

Advertisement

Take a look at the OpenTK project or any equally API wrapper out there. I used OpenTK in the past and it did whatever I wanted from it so I would advice this

Hi,

Take a look at MonoGame!
It is an open source modern re-implementation of the popular, but a bit old and cranky, XNA framework.

Just as a quick reference where it stands in the API/Framework/Engine scale:
DirectX/OpenGl < SlimDx/SharpDx/OpenTk < SDL2-CS/SFML.Net < XNA/MonoGame < Unity

It is far more established than a low-level graphics API or a wrapper around it, so you have many stuff pre-made (e.g.: a game-loop, a sophisticated and extendable asset pipeline, a simple game object system, an easy to use 2d/3d rendering system - a.k.a simplified dx/gl etc...) but it has no editor, no high-level systems in place (e.g.: no built-in collisions, physics or AI), nor a bloated run-time. You can essentially use whatever you like/need from it, even simply as a wrapper around DirectX/OpenGL.

Br.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!