• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Josheir

Visual Studio 2015 Dump Problem

This topic is 566 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I am trying to dump a VS C++ process with either Task Manager or Visual Studio.  The problem I am having is the process is not available for 'breaking' with the button because it hasn't started yet.  I am not allowed to start the debugging process when visual studio needs to be ready to and I have selected 'Native Code.'  The process is not available to choose because it hasn't started yet.

On the other hand, when I try to execute the application first, the mouse cursor is 'trapped' on this screen.  Bringing up the task manager or trying a shortcut key from here just shuts-down this application's process making it not possible to debug.

The program is 'hung' in a manner that it would be informative to stop it as it's running and get a dump.  Can anyone help, I'm using Visual Studio 2015?

Thank you,

Josheir

Advertisement
Try (from Visual Studio) starting the program by clicking Debug -> Step Into. This will get you the first line of code running in the program. You can step forward from there until the conditions occur that you wish to debug.

You can also set breakpoints if you know what general region of code is breaking. This will drop you into the debugger as soon as the suspect code executes.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!