• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
klaudiabezak

Does my art match Concept Art for Games

This topic is 647 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

My name is Klaudia Bezak. I am an ambitious artist, illustrator and concept artist. . I have painted many pictures for private clients, illustrated books, created posters and characters designs, pages for comic books, have my works published in magazines etc., but my real dream is to create concept art for games. I've been sending my CV to games companies for a few days, but to be honest, I'm not sure if the art I create right now is something that games companies could look for. Could you tell me if I should start painting and drawing digitally to be considered for a concept artist position?

[attachment=35198:1.jpg][attachment=35199:25.jpg]

[attachment=35200:13.jpg][attachment=35201:27.jpg]

[attachment=35203:15.jpg][attachment=35202:644.jpg]

[attachment=35204:26.jpg][attachment=35205:3.jpg]

[attachment=35206:17.jpg][attachment=35207:28.jpg]

Advertisement

The only thing that strikes me as a problem here is that the use of gray for shading is screwing up your color palette, so they don't really pop, and in some cases look a little ill.  The clearest example is the woman with the mechanical leg - those gray shadows on her skin really don't look good.  The shapes of everything look good.

It looks like you have good artistic skills but you have a very distinct style there, and part of the process of doing concepts professionally is that you need to be able to adapt to the mood of the project, not just in terms of the content but also in terms of the rendering, lighting and shading styles. If you wanted to work on a concept art portfolio my advice - not as an artist myself, but as someone who works with concept artists - is to try and work with a few different styles, and make it clear what you are communicating in each one. Come up with an imaginary brief for each one and attempt to meet it in the art. And if you are mainly/only working with traditional media you might want to consider doing more in digital, which would help you with potential game industry roles.

The only thing that strikes me as a problem here is that the use of gray for shading is screwing up your color palette, so they don't really pop, and in some cases look a little ill.  The clearest example is the woman with the mechanical leg - those gray shadows on her skin really don't look good.  The shapes of everything look good.

Thank you very much for your reply! Yes, I have a problem with this, cannot find a good colour to shade skin...

It looks like you have good artistic skills but you have a very distinct style there, and part of the process of doing concepts professionally is that you need to be able to adapt to the mood of the project, not just in terms of the content but also in terms of the rendering, lighting and shading styles. If you wanted to work on a concept art portfolio my advice - not as an artist myself, but as someone who works with concept artists - is to try and work with a few different styles, and make it clear what you are communicating in each one. Come up with an imaginary brief for each one and attempt to meet it in the art. And if you are mainly/only working with traditional media you might want to consider doing more in digital, which would help you with potential game industry roles.

Hi, thank you very much for your reply, I truly appreciate your advice! Yes, I'm afraid you're right, I need to work on a mood in my illustrations. And I think that digital art would help me to achieve that. So maybe it's high time I started usuing my digital table and learn digital art.

Thank you very much for your reply! Yes, I have a problem with this, cannot find a good colour to shade skin.

You should choose a color that  matches the light in the picture.  Like, if the light is yellow, use yellow, and if the light is orange, use orange.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!