Can I use real car brands in my game for free

Started by
14 comments, last by monalaw 7 years ago

I am making a game with cars in it and I can find the true answer on these questions.

Can I use real cars, car names & car logos in my game for free or do I need a licens or something.

If I can't is it then legal to take the car I want in my game and change the car name, car logo and change something on the model is it then legal.

Thanks

Advertisement

Nope.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

The names, logos, brands, design, et cetera of cars are all covered by various intellectual property laws.

So no, you can't. You'll need to license the bits you want to use from the manufacturer or relevant IP holder.

Ok Thanks for the help :D

Moved to Business/Law.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Better use helicopters, the ones you see all the time dont mind using.

S T O P C R I M E !

Visual Pro 2005 C++ DX9 Cubase VST 3.70 Working on : LevelContainer class & LevelEditor

the incredible snoker what do you mean?
Can you explain thanks.

Some companies are less aggressive about asserting their rights and taking legal actions against those who infringe on those legal rights.

Even so, they do own the rights, and they can choose to assert them by taking legal action.

This is a creative industry and you should be creative. You are completely free to make up your own objects and you should do exactly that. That includes your own original vehicle designs, your own creative vehicle names, and your own logos. Stay away from existing vehicle designs, existing names, and existing logos.

The same applies to any other real-world objects, guns, helicopters, buildings, celebrities, or anything else that is distinctive and recognizable.

There are a small number of exceptions and a small number of legal defenses, but those almost never apply even though many people think their project qualifies. You'll need to talk with a real life lawyer and discuss the details of your project in depth to see if it really qualifies, and it almost certainly does not. Even if it is a legal use, the defense means you need to engage in the legal battle, and many of these battles last for years and cost hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars. It usually isn't worth it.

Okay thanks for the help.

Hi Andreas, like i say : some brands wont sue you, thats why you always see the same heli`s in movies and stuff, like airwolf = bell or eurocopter

You can sell models of that without being sued.

Now that i get 2 downvotes without comment, i start doubting myself, just trying to help.

S T O P C R I M E !

Visual Pro 2005 C++ DX9 Cubase VST 3.70 Working on : LevelContainer class & LevelEditor

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement