• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
pixelpad_devs

New Web-Based 2D Game Engine - PixelPAD (BETA)

This topic is 559 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

(Crossposted from https://reddit.com/r/gamedev)

Hi all,

I'm a senior programmer for a Vancouver-based coding school. We teach programming to kids using Game Maker and Unity. About a year ago, our CEO, a few of the instructors, and myself all got together and decided we wanted to try and create our own game engine, both for use in the classroom and for our own personal projects. At the top of our wishlists were a few key features:

• Use of an existing, well-known programming language. GML in particular, while being a perfectly fine programming language, isn't really a transferable skill, apart from basic programming concepts. We ended up choosing Python.
  • Minimal set-up time. Our philosophy is that you should be able to open up our web-based editor, upload a sprite sheet, write less than 15 lines of code, and be able to see your player character walking around on the screen.
  • Focus on code over visual tools. Since we are a coding school, we were becoming frustrated with spending entire classes setting up rooms in Game Maker & scenes in Unity without touching any code.

As of about a week ago, we've finally finished all of the core engine features on our to-do list, and we're ready to start showing this thing off to the public :)

What we're looking for here are a couple of things:

• This is our very first public release of the application. We've been using it internally and had success with our body of 200+ students, as well as in staff game jams, but we would really like to get some unbiased feedback to figure out where we should focus our efforts in the next cycle of development.
  • We're also looking to test our infrastructure under exposure to large amounts of users and wacky sorts of inputs. The app is still very much in beta, and we're trying to break as many things as possible before releasing a 1.0.
  • Obviously, we're looking to build a little buzz and let people know about the cool new thing we made. Shares would absolutely be appreciated :)

Anyway, that's about it. I'll just leave the link at the end of the post. Thanks for reading!

TL;DR I worked on a game engine, please check it out!

https://pixelpad.io/

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!