• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Bax92

DX12 University Final Project Advice

This topic is 488 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

lurker from a while, but this is my first topic, so I hope to be in the right forum section.

I am currently a MSc student in Computer Science and I am now facing the decision on what to do for my final project (I am supposed to work for roughly 3 months). I would like, once done with this degree, to work in the game industry, but unfortunately this is a recent passion of mine and I don't know this world really well yet.

Anyway, in this last few months I have started working on Computer Graphics, programming with DirectX 12 and I managed to built a simple graphic engine capable of rendering geometric shapes and move around in the 3D world with a dynamic camera. As I said, this is a recent passion and I had pretty much no knowledge of graphics.

Now, I was offered by one of my lecturer to work on procedural generated environments or even AI in games (so no cutting edge research), while I was offered by another lecturer to work with VR (since I am fascinated by it), but this last project relates more than slightly with Computer Vision: it has to do with creating models in the virtual world that can then be tested in the real world, a sort of simulator (more cutting edge research). My aim would be to work in software houses which create games, to work as a programmer there. However, I would also like to build graphics software that allow to create games or films or art in general; basically the field of research and development of new technologies.

I am worried that the first project could lead me more easily to work as a game programmer, but distance myself from working on pure graphics software. I feel the second project could have the opposite effect instead. To be honest, I would like to keep all the possibilities open.
What do you think?

Thank you and sorry for asking for advice about such a personal problem.

Edited by Bax92

Advertisement

What do you think?

I think I've never met a hiring manager who even checks what the topic of you master's thesis is ("Masters degree: check. OK, short list them they can follow through on commitments.").  Choose the one that interests you most because you're a person, not a future career.

I am worried that the first project could lead me more easily to work as a game programmer, but distance myself from working on pure graphics software. I feel the second project could have the opposite effect instead. To be honest, I would like to keep all the possibilities open. What do you think?

You should make a decision grid and weight the pros and cons to arrive at your own
decision. How to make a decision grid: http://www.sloperama.com/advice/m70.htm

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!