• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Seekrish

Working for game companies

This topic is 577 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am a computer science student about to graduate in a few months but recently have been interested in 3d modelling, particularly in environment modelling. I have a good amount of spare time considering this my final year.

At this point, I am thinking about getting a job in the game industry but undecided of whether to do programming or art. I don't enjoy programming as much as 3d modelling but have more experience in it. I only know the basics of 3ds max as of right now.

So my question is, should I apply for programming whilst learning and becoming proficient in environment modelling or take the time to learn environment modelling in these few months + summer holidays and search for the jobs, or are both of these options terrible?

Advertisement

^^ I was going to make the same recommendation :)

Getting into game art without years of experience will be hard... but also getting into game programming without years worth of portfolio material will also be hard...

However, someone who has a passion for 3D modelling but also has a computer science degree? That's tech-art gold right there (assuming you're semi-competent with the 3D modelling tools, and can write some plugins for them / automation scripts for them).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!