How to maintain detail on small distant objects

Started by
1 comment, last by ramirofages 7 years ago

Hi, currently I'm drawing a large amount of flowers and I notice that the ones that are far away are quite...aliased/hard to see. I feel like this is not something that can be fixed with anti aliasing alone. Pic below ( and I'm using anti aliasing there)

[attachment=35412:Screenshot_11.jpg]

This problem gets worse when you see them moving (

)

Of course I understand that it's normal for objects far away to be hard to distinguish their shape and colors, but I feel like there's something that can be done to make them smooth/low frequency, for example this game

There they deal with a lot of sunflowers, and while they are quite big, I feel like they have done something so they always look smooth no matter the distance.

I'm currently using only 1 LOD for the flowers because it was hard to simplify it more than that, the next thing would be a billboard...

Do you have any tips to make them smoother at distance? or something similar.

Cheers

Advertisement

LOD'ing. Whenever you end up with pixel sized triangles, the HW is going to give you bad quality and terrible performance. If you have to make a billboard version to LOD it that much, then do it! Eventually when they get small enough you'd just want a flat texture map of thousands of them, or a BRDF that can reproduce their average reflectances.

Alright, will give it a try then, thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement