Good keyboard for programming and gaming

Started by
13 comments, last by Gian-Reto 7 years ago

I intend to use a mechanical keyboard but afaik ergonomy isn't a word known in mechanical world. Currently using a Comfort Curve 3000 (successor of beloved 2000) but not sure of a mechanical one due to RSI issues I suffer more than enough.

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden

Advertisement

I have a Corsair K70 with MX Blues and it is the second-best keyboard ever -- second-best because the IBM Model M isn't available with backlight and USB connector. If you think the MX Browns are too stiff and deep, well, you wouldn't like the MX Blues, I suspect. They do feel wonderful and sound glorious to my ears though.

I spend 14-16 hours a day at my keyboard, never had problems with exhaustion but then again, I read and think more than I type.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

I personally dislike any of the Cherry's quiet tactile switches (Brown, Grey, Clear) as they are quite stiff all the way down to bottom and have a weird 'scratchy' feeling.

At home I have a CODE WASD v2 with Cherry Blues. I really like the switch feedback (both tactilely and audibly) and the build is very solid.

At work (as I'm in an open plan office, the noise of the Blues would drive my co-workers nuts), I use the V80 with Matias Quiet Click. The build quality isn't as good as the CODE WASD but the switches feel much better and quieter than the Cherry Browns. The Matias are a lot smoother than Cherry Browns and have better tactile feedback on the actuation point. They also 'give' once you've hit the actuation point so there's barely any resistance to the bottom which reduces fatigue a bit.

Shame the switch and the keycaps are rare on keyboards as I would love to have those switches with the WASD build quality.

Do you find the actuation point too deep or when you bottom out the key? If it's the latter, then the I don't think the K70 solves that problem as the bottom out distance is still the same (~4mm).

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Mechanical keyboard choice is a personal thing, there are many switch types apart from the basic Black, Red, Brown and Blues each with unique feel to them. You even get into the more esoteric switches like tourpe etc.

If you are going to get a replacement for the Das you should really visit a few shops and try all the different switches you can. Or get a key switch sampler which normally comes with 8 different Cherry key types and key caps to try the different feel.

If you want a really light feel then hunt out and try Reds, these are my favorite (work and play) but you tend to use them full travel as no feedback apart from the end stop.

I loved the Corsair K70 with MX Browns so much that I replaced the keyboard on my gaming rig with another Corsair K70, this time with red switches.

Its the best Keyboard I have owned to date and still much cheaper than most DAS Keyboard options. Sturdy caps mounted on a brushed aluminium back plate, those lovely MX switches, and a mean red lighting make for a both stylish and highly functional keyboard.

As a plus the switches and caps are mounted on the back plate without any recession, so cleaning the keyboard is really easy (aside from it just looking cool, and letting that mean red lighting leak out from below the caps).

Functionally, the keyboard has exactly what you need and nothing more. Sturdy, well working media keys, good lighting controls, and no frivolous Macro keys just increasing the footprint.

No software needed (unless you go for the RGB, which needs software for the color management AFAIK), Keyboard just as big as it needs to be, and you can switch of the lighting from off to searingly bright right there on the keyboard.

As to the MX switches, I found them to be more comfortable for long hours of typing. But noisy, no matter what switch you choose (thank good I didn't go for the blues). I don't feel a massive difference between the browns and the reds, but then I am a quite forceful typist and often bottom out the keys. Yeah, I am not a Jedi of Touch Typing... but it gets the job done :P

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement