Is this idea too offensive ?

Started by
16 comments, last by Lucas_Cage 6 years, 11 months ago

My game idea was a isometric top down shooter, the main point of the game would be to cause as much destruction as possible, the setting would be in a suburban american town (not in an actual or based on any real-life town), you would control a depressed emo kid and you would need to do various objectives to progress through the levels (ideas I had were blowing up a church with hand grenades,lighting a teacher on fire,and running over a Liberal Protest with an SUV), all while massacring authority figures with various weapons, I do not endorse any of this stuff and it would be wrong to do in real life but im just wondering if I could get in any actual trouble for this, this game would be a minor experiment and would be anywhere from free to $10.00 and would not be reflective of content I would put in the games of others.

Advertisement

Google "Postal" and "Grand Theft Auto..." There's your answer!

"The code you write when you learn a new language is shit.
You either already know that and you are wise, or you don’t realize it for many years and you are an idiot. Either way, your learning code is objectively shit." - L. Spiro

"This is called programming. The art of typing shit into an editor/IDE is not programming, it's basically data entry. The part that makes a programmer a programmer is their problem solving skills." - Serapth

"The 'friend' relationship in c++ is the tightest coupling you can give two objects. Friends can reach out and touch your privates." - frob

just wondering if I could get in any actual trouble for this,

Sure. You can be sued at any time by anybody, whether or not you make that game.

this game would be a minor experiment and would be anywhere from free to $10.00

Trouble you can expect is to lose money making the game (and not make it back from
sales or other monetization method).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Hatred comes to mind too. If it's out there and highly offensive and people get upset by it, guys like me will buy it just to support your right to make it. I bought Hatred when I heard different morons in government suggest banning it in different countries. I'm an adult and despise with all my being those that believe they know what is best for me or others.

But as Tom pointed out, there is always the chance you could get sued or sell very few copies to make it worth while. Now if you don't care about making money, more power to you.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

I'm personally not offended by this. However your idea sounds very similar to the games Hatred and Postal.

As others have implied, I wouldn't be as concerned about it being too offensive as I would that it is too unoriginal. There are already plenty of games out there like this, some having been mentioned in previous replies. There's even a game where you're the Columbine killers and the objective is to kill as many students and teachers as possible before time runs out and you kill yourself. In fact I think there's even another one that's more of an RPG made in RPGmaker or something. So, yeah, worse has already been done.

Whether or not you can get in any legal trouble for it completely depends on what country you're in, but as long as you're in a reasonably free country, I wouldn't be too concerned about that.

Game designer and programmer for Stand Off Software, maker of fine adventure games.

Like any other 'art', whether or not it's "too offensive" comes down to why you're making it in the first place. If you're trying to make some kind of point, then the level of offensiveness is probably intentional and "too much" might be exactly what you want. If it's meant as a "lol it's funny to do offensive stuff", then that kind of humour will fall flat with a lot of people (myself included) and if your game gets any traction, it'll likely receive a lot of heat from people who really don't find it funny, and a lot of support from people who share the sense of humour or like to push boundaries.

I think the part you need to be careful with is not so much the level of offensiveness, but how you handle and justify that content. If you say "I want to explore these experiences in a safe way, create something introspective, make a point, etc" then that's one thing, but if you handle something offensive as if it's a joke, or pass it off as "lol, just kidding, just a joke, just an experiment, just a prank", then you'll likely experience very different reactions.

As usual, if you need to ask, it most probably is.

In this occasion I am going with "yes" even after a more in depth look at your idea. Sure, shooting dudes in the face has been a staple in gaming for decades.

Killing unarmed civilians however, depicting school shootings and stuff like that will not sit well with most people in the best case, get your game black listed in some countries in a slightly less good case, and get you sued worst case.

I would REALLY think long and hard about making your game about "edgy" subjects like these, unless you want to gamble for getting away with it for the additional publicity your game might get thanks to the controversy. If you just do it for the "being edgy and stuff" thing, well, maybe find an edgy subject that has nothing to do with killing civilians in a real life setting. Let the emo kid suffer in his own psychological hell without taking it out on the general public, or transfer the whole thing into a fantasy world where people will be more forgiving with stuff like this.

Hatred comes to mind too. If it's out there and highly offensive and people get upset by it, guys like me will buy it just to support your right to make it. I bought Hatred when I heard different morons in government suggest banning it in different countries. I'm an adult and despise with all my being those that believe they know what is best for me or others.

But as Tom pointed out, there is always the chance you could get sued or sell very few copies to make it worth while. Now if you don't care about making money, more power to you.

I thought about Hatred too, and honestly, I played and loved it. The plot is surely not a masterpiece, but it was fun to play, the graphics was pretty good and the overall experience was enjoyable. I literally stopped watching all the videogame websites that gave the game a 4 just because it was "pure violence".

Going back to the original question, if you make it good enough, which is not easy, you'll surely have a lot of criticism and bad advertisement, but it's up to you to make something good out of it. As a general rule, I'd say that you should do what you want with your game, as long as you can motivate your choices.

As usual, if you need to ask, it most probably is.

In this occasion I am going with "yes" even after a more in depth look at your idea. Sure, shooting dudes in the face has been a staple in gaming for decades.

Killing unarmed civilians however, depicting school shootings and stuff like that will not sit well with most people in the best case, get your game black listed in some countries in a slightly less good case, and get you sued worst case.

I would REALLY think long and hard about making your game about "edgy" subjects like these, unless you want to gamble for getting away with it for the additional publicity your game might get thanks to the controversy. If you just do it for the "being edgy and stuff" thing, well, maybe find an edgy subject that has nothing to do with killing civilians in a real life setting. Let the emo kid suffer in his own psychological hell without taking it out on the general public, or transfer the whole thing into a fantasy world where people will be more forgiving with stuff like this.

Fairly good rule of thumb here. If you have to ask, there's a pretty good chance that it is.

Hatred and Postal are the main games that come to mind. Just google them and see what comes up.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement