Sign in to follow this  
pac85

Scripting language for c++ game engine

I'm developing a game engine for a first person shooter. The engine will be written in c++ and I will also implement most of the game in c++ but I really? want modders to be able to make all sorts of mods with ease and I want those mods to run trublelessly in any OS users run the game on. Therefore i want to use a scripting language to achieve simplicity and portability? but I need it to be able to derive from c++ classes so modders can override the game code. From what I understood no scripting language can do that automatically, you have to create proxy classes for that.
My first question is therefore:Is that true?Is there anything that does that automatically?

Either way I need something that can be easily embedded in a c++ application.

I found cheiscript which seems to have a very clean and simple way of being embedded. The language itself is similar to c++ which is a very good thing for me.

I also like the angel script sintax but is it simple enough to embed in something like my application?

There is also lua which, being very popular has a lot of libraries.

So those are the scripting languages that i found with the one I like more being the first(cheiscript) but I don't have any experience with scripting languages so what language should I use?

(I may also need to run several threads so the interpreter must be thread safe).

Edited by Kylotan
removed the junk copy/pasted from Stack Overflow

This question has already been asked many times before.

It probably won't matter which scripting language you choose. Just pick whichever one works best for you.

AngelScript is a very good library. The only downsides are that it's large, it's not very popular, and it's not particularly fast (but that's not a problem 99% of the time).

Edited by TapewormTuna