Game using 3D graphic and kinect

Started by
1 comment, last by tian_co 7 years ago

Hi guys,

I am a beginner-intermediate python programmer. I'm trying to create a first-person view 3D game in python in which I hope to use kinect to control the game.
1. I'm trying to use panda3d for the 3d game part, but I'm not sure how I can communicate kinect with panda3d. Any advice on that? Will this process be too difficult for a beginner-intermediate programmer like me?
2. I'm also thinking of using pygame instead of panda3d? Will it work out fine using pygame to create a 3d game and connect it to kinect?

More importantly, do you think this project is too complicated for a beginner-intermediate programmer? Should I go with a 2D game instead? (I feel like 2D might be a little too easy and less challenging)
I really appreciate any advice or resources in general. Thank you!

Advertisement

Before considering to write a game with panda3d and kinect, I'd suggest to first run a few experiments to see if you can make them work together at all.

One step further back, can you get anything out of a kinect with Python?

I would guess you need some library, so find one, hook stuff up, and make it print "up" if you point up or "left" when you point left, etc.

Just testing if you can make it react at all.

Similarly, play with panda 3d , set up a trivial 3d environment and display it. Move around in it with the keyboard or with the mouse.

Doing each thing separately is always simpler than doing them all together. Adding a game to it makes things even more complicated. Instead have a small setup. Quick experiments, easy to change, if it fails, you haven't invested much effort that you throw away.

Once you reached the point that each thing works separately, you can try combining them.

Before considering to write a game with panda3d and kinect, I'd suggest to first run a few experiments to see if you can make them work together at all.

One step further back, can you get anything out of a kinect with Python?

I would guess you need some library, so find one, hook stuff up, and make it print "up" if you point up or "left" when you point left, etc.

Just testing if you can make it react at all.

Similarly, play with panda 3d , set up a trivial 3d environment and display it. Move around in it with the keyboard or with the mouse.

Doing each thing separately is always simpler than doing them all together. Adding a game to it makes things even more complicated. Instead have a small setup. Quick experiments, easy to change, if it fails, you haven't invested much effort that you throw away.

Once you reached the point that each thing works separately, you can try combining them.

Thank you.
I've played around with kinect using python before and wrote a simple 2d game.
I'll try playing around with panda3d.
Thanks for your advice!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement