X-Plane 11.2 to use only Vulkan

Started by
2 comments, last by mike44 7 years ago

Hopefully with a similar FPS boost.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia-vlk-madmax&num=1

Curious about a DX vs Vulkan comparison.

Advertisement

It depends on the game and the usage.

One of the biggest speedup seems to be eliminating the single-thread bottleneck. Under older rendering systems it didn't matter how many threads you ran on your game code, there could (generally) only be a single thread that issued graphics commands, which ensured they happened in a specific ordering for state management reasons. It introduced some bottlenecks in exchange for repeatable commands.

Now it is possible -- through properly constructed code -- to have multiple systems work with rendering commands concurrently. This eliminates part of the bottleneck of waiting for other commands to complete, although some commands still need to delay until others are done.

It is not a free improvement, and it is not guaranteed to improve performance at all.

April fools?

One of the biggest speedup seems to be eliminating the single-thread bottleneck. Under older rendering systems it didn't matter how many threads you ran on your game code, there could (generally) only be a single thread that issued graphics commands,

Ironically though, if you've designed your renderer so that it collects information about the scene in batches, and then submits commands in batches, then you can already do the collection on many threads and the single-threaded submission cost is unlikely to be more than about a millisecond... And to get the most out of D12/Vulkan, you should first redesign your renderer to work this way :lol:
The people getting the biggest CPU savings seem to be people who intermix collection and submission, which means that previously they've constrained collection to a single thread, and now can multi-thread it... Which they already could've done and still should do with a redesign of their rendering architecture :wink:

To use ONLY Vulkan was thought as 1. April joke, but I only read yesterday that X-Plane will indeed move to Vulkan. Probably using also Metal for their Mac users?

Mad Max runs very well and without crash in my first two ingame hours. Unlike Alien Isolation which crashes regularly probably to a Nvidia OpenGL bug with my new GTX1070. I don't remember such with my old GTX770.

Such performance gains will be a blessing for Flightsimulators.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement